Help to fix problems that Sandra Lite found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denise_M

In Runtime
Hi,

I have Windows XP Pro, SP2, EI7.

I just ran the Analysis & Device scan on Sandra Lite and it came up with a number of things I should fix. Some of them I was able to fix but I need some help with these others. If I can fix just a few, I'd appreciate it:

Computer Overview Analysing

1. Warning 100 : Large memory sizes should be made of Registered/Buffered memory

Mainboard Analysing

2. Warning 2533 : Disabled host controllers are present. Check BIOS settings

3. Warning 100 : Large memory sizes should be made of Registered/Buffered memory

Mainboard Configuration

4. Notice 224 : System BIOS : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate

Processors Analysing

5. Warning 2533 : CPU 1 [Processor 0, Core 0, Thread 0] : Disabled host controllers are present. Check BIOS settings.

Tip 210[/u] : CPU 1 [Processor 0, Core 0, Thread 0] : Mainboard supports faster CPUs, so the CPU can be upgraded when needed.

Notice 224[/u] : CPU 1 [Processor 0, Core 0, Thread 0] : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.

Buses and Devices Analysing

6. Warning 1206 : PCI Bus 0 (1/1x PCIClk) : Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) SiS5513 EIDE Controller (A,B step) : PCI latency too high. Device could hog the bus for too long.

Tip 1202 : PCI Bus 0 (1/1x PCIClk) : Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) SiS900 10/100 Ethernet Adapter : Device does not support bus mastering.

Power Management

7. Notice 224 : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate

Displays and Display Adapters Analysing

8. Tip 319 : Video Adapter : Primary Display Driver (display) : A refresh rate of at least 75Hz is recommended. Increase it if possible

9. Tip 319 : Video Adapter : RADEON 8500 / RADEON 8500 LE (Microsoft Corporation) (\\.\DISPLAY1) @ \\.\DISPLAY1 : A refresh rate of at least 75Hz is recommended. Increase it if possible

Physical Disks Analysing

10. Warning 3100 : Maxtor 6E040L0 (ATA) : S.M.A.R.T not enabled; consider enabling for safety.

11. Warning 3103 : Maxtor 6E040L0 (ATA) : Acoustic Management enabled. Peformance may be impaired.

12. Warning 3104 : Maxtor 6E040L0 (ATA) : Current mode not optimal. Check settings.

14. Warning 3100 : WDC WD800JB-00ETA0 (ATA) : S.M.A.R.T not enabled; consider enabling for safety.

Network Adapters Analysing

15 Warning 502 : Firewall Programs : Not all network adapters are firewalled! Check firewall settings (MY COMPUTER IS NOT NETWORKED)

Operating System Analysing

16.Warning 1316 : This copy of Windows contains Product Activation Technology.

17. Warning 1322 : Hardware DEP is not supported by your CPU. Software DEP in use. Consider upgrading for complete security.

Memory Usage Analysing

18. Tip 2004 : Page file is too large. The page file should be maximum 2.5 times system memory.

Processes Analysing

19. Tip 1601 : hpqimzone : Program consumes a large amount of memory. (MY PRINTER)

21. Tip 1601 : iexplore : Program consumes a large amount of memory

22. Warning : wmiprvse : Process no longer exists!

I went into Computer Management -> Devices and clicked to update the drivers for all devices/subdevices but they have the most up-to-date drivers.

If you could tell me where these settings are located for the problems that Sandra Lite found, how to get to them, and what settings they should be set to, I can pretty much get them fixed, if even just a few.

Thanks . . . Denise

I would ignore most of it. I would disable your hp printer from running in the background (start, run type msconfig and hit the startup tab). I would also enable SMART on your harddrive in the bios too. right cick your etheret card in network properties and enable your firewall too

I know that you know how to raise your refresh rate to 75hz in display properties. right?

Hi Eric,

Thanks for responding.

I found the refresh rate in Display . . . I didn't know that was there though, until you mentioned display properties, but that's done. I also disabled my printer in MSConfig.

The other 2 items that you mentioned I'm not quite sure about.

In Services, Network Connections is Enabled and Automatic, but
I have 2 Network services that are turned off. One is Network DDE and the other is Network DDE DSDM. I didn't change the settings for these 2 as I wasn't sure if one of these is the setting that you mentioned to change. Should I change one or both, or am I completely off-base here?

In Device Manager, Network Ethernet Adapter doesn't have an option to turn on a firewall. I use Sygate Firewall and Windows firewall turned off.

As for working in BIOS (ugh!), I've never done it, but I'll give it a try.

Thanks for your help. If you could let me know about the Network setting and the firewall problem in Network Ethernet Adapter, I'd appreciate it.

Denise

go to control panel, network settings. right click the net card and select properties. click the advance tab. you can now enable your firewall

in the bios, enabling smart on your harddrive(s) is usually on the 2nd page

Hi Eric,

Changing the refresh rate to 75 did the trick. My monitor no longer blinks on and off.

Before I read your last post, I went into Internet Properties and right clicked on my connection. Windows Firewall was turned off but the boxes for each connection were checked. I unchecked them and saved the settings. I figure that there must be some reason why Sandra Lite would think that my firewall isn't operating, unless it looks for Windows Firewall only and, since it's not turned on, unchecking the boxes won't hurt.

Now, on to BIOS. I'm running a program that won't be finished for 2 to 3 hours and I'll attack it then and let you know how I made out.

Thanks Eric :)

Hi Eric,

It took me a while to find out how to get into BIOS but I finally got in by pressing ESC when I booted up and was able to enable S.M.A.R.T.

Thanks for all your help and your patience. It's really appreciated.

Denise_M said:
Hi Eric,

It took me a while to find out how to get into BIOS but I finally got in by pressing ESC when I booted up and was able to enable S.M.A.R.T.

Thanks for all your help and your patience. It's really appreciated.

you are welcome. I like your avatar

I don't have an avatar, or do you see something that I don't?

Unfortunately, my speakers wouldn't work after I turned on S.M.A.R.T. so I had to go back in and turn it off, but I don't dread BIOS like I used to, so a lot of good came out of it.

BTW, it was the Delete button I had to press to get into BIOS, not Esc. That one I had to tap on my way out, so I guess it was on my mind.

Thanks again Eric. You've really been great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom