partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
jeece said:
NTFS is the way to go for Win2000 and XP, or any NT kernel OS. :)

Well i'd say it's more of a personal preference.

NTFS is the native file format for Win NT based operating systems. There's a lot of advantages of using it but, I would add that it's not for everybody. NTFS has a lot of system overhead and if you happen to have a small HDD, i would suggest using FAT 32 instead. The security built into NTFS is I think a bit of an overkill for the average user who doesn't know much about computers. For instance if you happen to lose your log-on password - you're pretty much screwed. You either need a 3rd party tool to break in or reinstall the OS. In a case like mine, where i have a 200 GB HDD, you're almost forced to use NTFS. I cannot imagine using FAT32 with one single large partition and having a huge cluster size that goes along with it. :mad:

It has more to do with the needs of the invidual using the PC and how knowledgeable they are with PCs. Even on a FAT32 HDD, Win2000 and Win XP will run smoothly.

New York Cheech said:
i have a 120gb hard drive what would you suggest

Well like i said earlier, it depends on a few variables. But generally speaking, if you're installing an NT based OS and you're familiar with PCs and know the benefits of using NTFS - then you might prefer using NTFS over FAT.

But if you're a home user and security is not a high priority for you, FAT32 is just fine. I'll say again, it all depends on the user's needs and how comfortable he/she is using the security features of NTFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom