AGP graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

aricav05

Baseband Member
I have a pretty old mobo with a N6600LE graphics card. When i try running some newer games, such as medieval 2, there are always graphics distortion and lines. (e.g parts of some units will turn into lines that stretch the entire screen, or there will be a huge patch of color on screen during gameplay)
Is my graphics card the cause of my problems? if not, can anyone recommend a way to fix it? If yes, what is a good AGP graphics card that will run new games smoothly? i'm thinking about a 6800GT, will they be good enough to run the games smoothly?

Well, odds are the graphics card is the problem but what is the rest of your system. It might not be worth dropping the money for a 6800 if the rest of the system is outdated aswell.

ah, well... my specs are as follows

pentium 4 2.53GHz processor
1GB DDR 200
250 & 120 GB ide HDD
350W psu
N6600LE

i dont think im missing anything...
the only parts i am willing to upgrade right now is the graphics card and the psu... if i were to replace anything else i might as well just buy a new comp.

my agp card just died a month ago, and i replaced it with a nvidia 7600gt...i'm more than happy with it...we'll see if it last longer than the 18 months my 6600gt lasted

aricav05 i recommend to build a new machine, that one is old and i can kind of see where the lag is coming from

I don't know if a whole new system is in order. Depends on what kind of gaming you plan on doing. If you're a heavier gamer and want to play graphically demanding games then go ahead and build a new rig.

Before you go out and buy a new system of a new video card, you might want to try that card in a different pc and see if you get the same results. Or try a different video card in your pc. If you have a friend you can swap parts and find out the problem for sure. This way you make sure that the card is the problem. In my old pc, when I had lines I thought it was just the video card, but it was also the ram.

ah i see, thanks for the replies. The thing is... i dont have the money to replace my entire system since i just bought an expensive laptop around half a year ago, and regrettably, none of my friends have a AGP graphics card so i wont be able to swap with them.
Oh and, my machine runs fine it doesn't lag much, therefore what i am considering is getting a new graphics card for now, and build a new rig when i save up enough money.

I also hope that the ram is not whats causing the problem... because that basically means i have to replace my entire comp...

and by the way, can someone explain why the ram will cause those lines and graphic distortions while playing games?

also, if anyone would like to see what those lines look like i will be more than happy to upload a picture of it.

Edit: Does anyone know how the 7300GT performs, because i haven't heard of it much. would getting a 7300GT be better than a 6800GT?

I bought a 7300GT today, and after installation it ran the games i was playing fine. however, after around 30 minutes or so of gaming the graphics distortions reappeared. It was not as serious(e.g no flickering) as when the 6600LE was installed but there r still shapes that show up, such as huge, white trapezoidal shapes on green landscape... i have no idea how i can explain it better...

Is it possible that my motherboard is also part of the problem since my motherboard uses an AGP x4 slot. Should i upgrade the motherboard or change the graphics card for something better, such as a 7600GT. The ram i use r made by kingston... 2x 512MB DDR PC3200.

i also have a very noobish question...
if say i replace my motherboard... do i have to reinstall the os afterwards? or do i just plug everything in and it'd be all set? i've never actually replaced a motherboard before so i dont know what i would have to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom