7950GX2? Should I? Shouldn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0dge

Hiphopapotamus.
I'm thinking about saving a few pennies over the next couple of months for a new graphics card. My second Gig of RAM arrived today, and I'm already thinking about my next upgrade!!

I've been looking at this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=370089

Anyone got one? Had one? OC'd one?

What dy'all think?

PS: I've only got one PCIE slot!

PPS: My mobo isn't on Nvidia's list of compatible boards for that card, any reason to worry about that?

For another £30 odd you could get a 8800GTS! dont get me wrong the 7950gx2 is a superb card but for a few quid more you can get a DX10 card so not only will it perform slightly better than the GX2 you will also be getting a more future proof GPU, for me this is a no-brainer!

About the mobo issue, id say as long as the slot is a PCI- Express full height 16x then i cant see why it wouldnt work.

Ps your siggie text is hard to read! maybe its just me? :confused:

Push a little more and get a 8800gts cause your wasting all that money on a past high end card.

Or save some by going with a 7950gt and upgrading your system some more maybe, but don't go with a 7950gx2 with the 8800gts thats just a little more.

Here's a benchy so you can compare them.

The 7950gx2 is ridiculously overpriced. Of course it's a great card, but for a little more you can get an 8800GTS as said...

However I wouldn't touch the DX10 cards yet if I were you, I'd get an ATi X1950Pro. It performs similarly to a 7900GT but at a lower price. Then when there is some more choice of DX10 cards out there (and the prices of the current cards drop), you should upgrade imo.

Hmmm, Cheers for the replies guys. I'm still in a quandry though!

I think I'll give the 7950gx2 a swerve, but I'm not going to go for the 8800, as the GX2 was stretching it!

Maybe I'll go for a 7900GT or GTX, or, as Phrantic said, the X1950Pro.

I'll dig a little deeper and look at a few more prices.

Oh, and jonny_uk, I'll change my sig when I get my new card!

If you plan on waiting a year or so to get a decent DX10 card then yeah get a 7900GT or something, if you plan on getting one sooner then i dont see the point in buying one, you mayaswell save abit more NOW, and then get a really good DX10 card, otherwise your wasting 100-120 on a 7900GT.

See where im coming from?

Yeah, I do see where you're coming from, buuuuut, I only bought my 6800 about six months ago and I want to upgrade already, I'm reckoning on spending £150 - £200 after I sell the 6800. Not sure how much I'll get for it, but it should be a decent whack towards the new card. I dunno, £75 maybe...

So, I suppose what I'm really asking is what's the best card for about £175?

I'm thinking maybe THIS 7900GTO or THIS X1950Pro

You'd be wasting your money by going with the 7950GX2. If you dont want to go all out and get an 8800GTS, just go with the 7950GT. You will be better off by far for just going with the 8800GTS though. The games of this year will really demand the power that it offers.

b0dge said:
Yeah, I do see where you're coming from, buuuuut, I only bought my 6800 about six months ago and I want to upgrade already, I'm reckoning on spending £150 - £200 after I sell the 6800. Not sure how much I'll get for it, but it should be a decent whack towards the new card. I dunno, £75 maybe...

So, I suppose what I'm really asking is what's the best card for about £175?

I'm thinking maybe THIS 7900GTO or THIS X1950Pro

well after owning a x1300pro(came installed in the system i bought 10months ago) id never had another ATI gpu agian! the fan on it was so noisy, it was almost like a hair dryer(but not as loud obviously) and whenever i started up Speedfan/Everest or something the fan would kick in and it was horrible! But ive had 2 Nvidia cards and both were silent including my currant 7950GT:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom