User can connect but can't surf - XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

tastyburger!!

Beta member
Hello. First time posting here!

I work for an ISP provider help desk and I've noticed a problem coming up lately, always with Windows XP.

Users can connect to our service, but can't surf the web. What is the problem?? How is it solved?? Thanks.

I would suspect maybe a new windows (xp) update that users are downloading that is probrably interfeering with your companys service.
And its apparently something that no other ISP is doing/using.

Is your serive dialup? or broadband?
May we know the name of the ISP?
Can we have a free broadband account if we fix it for you?:D

Well that is the problem. The user CAN connect to our service. We don't install any software on our client's computers. Gotta love the internet connection wizard! With the exception of you damn WIN ME users! Grrrr....

This may only be vaguely related but I have problem with windows XP being able to surf out over my NAT'd connection to my ISP, I have a small lan with a linux server which has the connection to my ISP.

Windows XP will only surf properly, both home and pro, if I open up the relevant ports. 80 and 21, on the firewall on my modem.

As far as I can find out so far this is something to do with MSN services not working properly behind some forms of Network Adddress Translation and some firewalls.

Very, very annoying indeed.

Here is a good one...

Got a user today. Could connect AND ping google.ca and it's IP. I could also ping the users IP, but user couldn't surf. W..T..F. This is frustrating as hell.

And these are user that have connected and surfed fine before.

Is there a new virus going around? WHat can I do to help these poor saps?

No big deal. I work in technical support for a particular brand of computers. Very often we do get the same problem. The user is able to ping all the websites but not able to surf. Generally the user comes to us after spending a lot of time with the ISP.
Generally it may be due to IE being corrupt or corrupt winsock entries. May be also due to some spyware or a firewall. Generally it is one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom