Question regarding FX-7x processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitersety

Daemon Poster
I am making a list of components to buy for my new computer that I am going to build. I noticed the price for an AMD Athlon 64 FX-70 processor is only 350.00 (from newegg.com), which seems low for a quad-core proc. So my question is, does that include just one dual-core FX-70 proc, or both dual-core DSDC procs to complete the 4x4 setup? Newegg is unclear about that, and there are a mere 2 customer reviews which don't explain it either.

Also, would you recommend going with AMD's 4x4 quad-core setup instead of Intel's single chip quad-core setup because of AMD's plans to use that architecture for future octo-core setups, or is it best to go with Intel's Core 2 Quad and forget about octo-core? Will 8 cores even offer much of a performance gain over 4 cores?

that's just for one cpu.
an intel e6600 will outperform the fx-70 in most instances.
i don't know how much of a perfomance gain a 4-core has over a dual, to be honest...let alone an 8 core versus a 4.
also, be aware...the fx-70 uses a socket f board (someone correct me if im wrong here), and i dont think any of the other amd cpus do, nor are they planning on using that socket for any other cpu (except the fx quad/octo?). plus, that board is wicked expensive dude.
if you're dead set on quad core, i think you should wait to see what amd and intel bring to the table, and take into consideration their future offerings and compatibility. it's a little early IMO to be thinking of buying a quad core. just my opinion.

the fx-7x line is just an attempt to sway some hardcore AMD fans back to them...a decent attempt but still not worth it.

lol well, an attempt to sway the not-so-hardcore amd fans back anyway.
the hardcore ones haven't left, lol.
it will perform as well as an e6600, until you start putting the hammer down on the overclock, probably...
but the price of the mobo is ridiculous and that in itself makes it not worth it.
O.P. wait for am3 or go conroe.

OK, Thanks for the responses guys. Based on what you said I have decided that I'm more than likely going dual-core unless prices really come down soon. So I have another question, is it worth spending the extra 200.00 (based on newegg.com prices) to get the E6700 instead of the E6600? Are the overclocking multipliers unloacked on any of those chips? If so, would it make more sense to buy the E6600 and overclock it to the specs of an E6700? Thanks.

the e6700 is not worth the extra 200 bucks it has a 10x multiplier compared to the e6600's 9x but still not worth the extra cash

its actully not as high overclockable as the E6600 becuase with such a high multiplier the FSB cant be put up to as high.

Blitersety said:
I am making a list of components to buy for my new computer that I am going to build. I noticed the price for an AMD Athlon 64 FX-70 processor is only 350.00 (from newegg.com), which seems low for a quad-core proc. So my question is, does that include just one dual-core FX-70 proc, or both dual-core DSDC procs to complete the 4x4 setup? Newegg is unclear about that, and there are a mere 2 customer reviews which don't explain it either.

Also, would you recommend going with AMD's 4x4 quad-core setup instead of Intel's single chip quad-core setup because of AMD's plans to use that architecture for future octo-core setups, or is it best to go with Intel's Core 2 Quad and forget about octo-core? Will 8 cores even offer much of a performance gain over 4 cores?
Err... slow down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom