What does the Indexing Service do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZhengHe

In Runtime
In Windows XP Home Edition what does the Indexing Service Exactly do, because I've heard its unnecessary and a Resource hog. That I should ininstall it.

It is a resource hog. The majority of ppl wont need it.
All it does is index (alphabetically) all files/folders in your system (or that you choose) into a kind of cache so that when the syetem needs to search for something it can find it faster.

Like when I go to control panel>folders or does this not help me one bit and I won't notice I difference if I remove it.

I doubt youd notice a difference in performance at all if you remove it though, it helps put my mind at ease knowing that resources arent being used for stuff I seldomly use

usually it doesnt use too much, but with it enabled u will notice huge hdd activity and like 50% of the cpu bein used for about 10 or 20 secs every so often when it decides it wants to index some stuff and its really annoying when im doing something and my pc slows down. type services.msc in the run box and go down to the indexing service and properties and stop and disable it. there is also like 20 other ones u can disable safely that u dont use that running slowing down ur computer for example the portable device serial manager or whatever which gets the serial number from a digi camera or whatever it does, needless to say i dont want that running when i will never use it taking up resources

"there is also like 20 other ones u can disable safely that u dont use that running slowing down ur computer"

Can you elaborate on this, I'm very interested. I'd do anything to speed up my computer, but I don't quite know what to do or what to disable. If you could post something in relationship to that it would be a real help. Thanks.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom