Harddisk error

Status
Not open for further replies.

dee-u

Solid State Member
I accidentally invertedly (wrong colors) inserted the power cord (that thing with the 4 pins) of the harddisk then the harddisk cannot be recognized anymore, the pc doesn't seem to get power but when I am dettaching the power cord from the harddisk then the pc is getting some power and I can see something in the monitor, any ideas on how can I solve this problem? Please..... Thanks!

A 4 pin molex connector has angled edges to prevent plugging it in backward.

The different leads of the molex are different voltages. (and a ground)

You probably fried it.

It's a Samsung 40gb harddisk, it's board can be easily separated from the disk itself, does it mean I may have a chance of fixing it by replacing it's board?

Nearly all hard drives have an easily removable board on the bottom, thats just the interface (whether that is SATA (Serial-ATA) or ATA {100 or 133})

Unfortunately, Thats not the only electronic component of the Hard Drive. And as far as the entirety of the damage (if you did indeed fry it), I couldn't tell you if replacing the interface would fix it or not.

At this point, the more cost efficient solution would be to simply replace the drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148095

And for slightly more money the drive size can be exponentially larger.

Did u check with it somewhere else?? ike in another PC?? U may have probably fried it,, but it giv it a try !!!!!

Zorro said:
Did u check with it somewhere else?? ike in another PC?? U may have probably fried it,, but it giv it a try !!!!!

Agreed.

As I said, it sounds fried, but test it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom