8800 GTX.. not enough power??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting an e6400, will that bottleneck and 8800GTX? Also I want to be 100% sure 550 watts will power the system.

Also I can get this system for the same exact price. Would this be smarter? It's a 700watt PSU, an e6600 and an 8800GTS.

Case: Digital Storm Twister VALUE (Black Edition)
Power Supply: 700W Thermaltake (SLI Compatible) (Silent Toughpower Edition)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz (1066MHz Front Side Bus) (4MB Cache) (Conroe)
Motherboard: Asus P5N-SLI (Chipset: nForce 570 Intel) (SLI Compatible) (Conroe)
Memory: 2GB DDR2 Corsair at 667MHz (Dual Channel)
Floppy / Media: Sony 1.44MB Floppy (Black Edition)
Hard Drive 1: 320GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Hard Drive 2: - No Thanks
Raid Option: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Sony DVD-ROM/CD-ROM (DVD Reader 16x / CD Reader 40x) (Includes Power DVD)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Network Card: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Modem: - No Thanks
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8800GTS 640MB (By: eVGA) (PCI-Express)
TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Motherboard Multi-Channel High Definition Audio (7.1 Channel)
Physics Card: - No Thanks
Cooling: Air Cooling (Certified Digital Storm Heat-sink and Fan (Stage 1 Cooling)
Case Lighting: Blizzard Internal Lighting (Green Edition) (Cold Cathode Tubes)
Round Cables: - No Thanks
User Manual: FREE! Personalized Elite Digital Storm Binder (Paperwork / Benchmarks / CDs / Manuals)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows XP Home (Includes Windows Vista Basic Upgrade)
Restore Kit: FREE! Digital Storm Restore DVD Recovery Kit
Protection: McAfee VirusScan Plus 2007 (Includes: AntiVirus, FireWall and AntiSpyware)
Office: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard (Highly Recommended)
Mouse: Logitech G7 Laser Cordless Mouse (High-Speed Gaming Grade) (Recommended)
Warranty: 2 Year Platinum Care Parts & Labor Warranty
Support: Lifetime Toll-Free Platinum Care Technical Support

No way, An E6600 vs an E6300 stock is no where near 25% more FPS than compared to an 8800GTX vs GTS. I mean it's really not even like 10% more frames. The GTX is the way to go for sure.

Also don't be scared to overclock a C2D. They are amazing at it and its almost impossible to damage something as long as you read like 1 guide.

EDIT: some of those parts in your system I wouldn't really recomend as they are expensive and not so needed.

For insatnce the G7 is known not to be the best gaming mouse, its accuracy trails off at very high DPS. While the MX-310 is the best to date I believe, and the MX-518 is also amazing.

Also 700 watts is OVERKILL with a C2D system. It has already been proven you can run a C2D and an 8800GTX with a 450w FPS if you want. If you dont plan on going SLI then i don't recomend anything more than 550w as it's a waste of money.

I myself would only get a a 500w PSU with good volts on the rails.

All i'm saying is keep doing what you are doing and learn more before you buy. You will be much happier in the long run.

apparently a few of you can't read very well because some people are talking about the e4300 and e6300 when he has the e6400 ;)

as for bottlenecking, my opinion is it's a load of crap. though i will admit i have not seen any particular tests for bottlenecking with an 8 series card. if anyone can point me to a reliable review that is talking about a REAL bottleneck i will eat my words. but if it's opinion vs. opinion then mine is that everyone is still stuck in the "omgzorz i need a 1kw psu, 4gb of memory and a qx6700@4.0GHz to play a game" mentality. people have been talking about bottlenecks seriously since the 6800GT and i have yet to see a significant bottlleneck under normal circumstances. i have seen bottlenecks in situations designed purely to create one.....

don't trust reviews on face value.

Alright, so I should get the 6400 and the 8800GTX? and the 550 psu is enough? also what exactly is bottlenecking and what does it do, what causes it and how will it affect me?

Yes get those, and bottlenecking is just when something in your system is prohibiting your full performance of another part. He means that an E6400 might bottleneck an 8800GTX as that the 8800GTX wouldnt get all of the power out of it becuase the CPU would be too slow. BUT I also agree with nitestick that the C2D are too fast to bottleneck anything at this time. I have yet to see a trusted source that says and shows benchmarks that it is being bottlenecked.

If hes getting the e6400 then why does his second build he posted have a e6600 in it?

Also I was looking on tom's hardware and a e6600 8800 GTS combo got more fps than a e6300 and a 8800 GTX. According to articles that people with 8800 GTX/GTS and e6300, e6400, and a e6600 say that without overclocking their cpu there 3dmark scores dont change very much and fps doesnt either. Once they start overclock the cpu both framerates and benchmark scores go up. People dont seem to realize the 8800 GTS/GTX are beast of a card's. He also said he doesnt want to overclock and we cant force him to.

But we can pursue him into overclocking.

Honestly, dude, take it from me... it isn't that hard to overclock, nor is it dangerous, as long as you stay in your limits. But anyway, don't just say no to overclocking, because honestly, you'd be stupid to not overclock an e6300, even a bit(to like 2.7ghz) helps.

Tomshardware isnt completely accurate on those charts. There is no possible way that an E6600 and an 8800GTS will give higher yields. The video card always plays a lot bigger role in FPS than the CPU. 2mb more cache has been PROVEN only to be around 5% more poerformance. And its only around 600mhz stock from an E6300.

Unless the difference between the GTS and GTX wasnt as much as I thought...

i had a look on google and it does appear there is some bottlenecking :eek:. however the points at which i saw bottlenecks (i looked at some FEAR extraction point benchmarks which were impartial as they were not about bottlenecks) the average FPS on an FX62 was 112 at a resolution of 2048x1536. now tell me under what situation anyone will find they can tell the difference? with LCDs having a refresh rate of 60Hz and nothing capable of over 100Hz at that resolution that i know of......where is the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom