Doing my case cooling right (Fan Controller)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitsu

Baseband Member
I dont understand how these fan controllers work....

I'm thinking about purchasing an Antec Plus 1080 Case...

1080_int.jpg

This case has two case fans that are designed to blow directly across the HDD'S. I'm going to be running these HDD'S:
- 1 Western Digital 10,000 RPM SATA Raptor HDD (OS HDD)
- 1 Western Digital 7,200 RPM SATA 250GB HDD (Storage)
- 1 120gb Seagate 120GB HDD (Storage)

I want to keep these harddrives healthy and running for years to come, because I dont want to loose my data on them (specifically the 250 and 120... pictures/music files/movies).

Question 1: I'm wondering if you guys think that the two 80mm case fans blowing directly on the hdd's will be enough to keep them cool and healthy, or if I should purchase one of those 5.25" slot hdd coolers?

Question 2: Most of the fan controllers that I have come across have four slots: HDD, Case, VGA, and Something else... But the point is that I thought when it says four fans it would mean that it's meant to control four case fans. I guess you are supposed to wire the four case fans together and then put it into the controller?

Question 2: How are your systems fan systems set up?

unless you're using this computer for a server, like at an office or something... where the hdd's will be in use 24/7 you literally don't need a fan blowing the air off of them...

you don't wire all the case fans together, because the line from the controller is a 12v line, made for only one fan... you'd have to get a different controller or just stick the vga to a case fan, cpu to a case fan, etc...

i have 3 intakes, 1 from the front, 2 on side, and 2 exhaust fans

Jitsu I have the Antec Plus 1080 case and the front fans are pretty good at keeping the drives cool. if you want redundancy get a hard disk cooler and screw it to the bottom of the SATA disk. even if the cooler dies it will act as a heatsink and still cool the SATA disk. if you do not want to lose data use a removable hard disk or another computer to copy the files over to it. nothing can be garuanteed, any hardware can fail at any time. I mirror my data to my second computer often. there are many data backup softwares available. you can even use MS Backup built into windows

Why would you need to control the speed of any fans? I can only think of sound issues.

I'm thinking I'll just get one fan controller and have it control all of my case fans... I think that controlling the speed of the case fans is alot more important than controlling the speed of my processor, harddrive and vga fans... or am I wrong?

well if you get a hsf that's loud, you'll want to be able to control it, although a lot of them are coming with pci slots so you can control the speed from the rear of your computer.. but yea controlling the case fans is the only thing i use my controller for, other than for my hsf.. but remember what i said, you can't wire all the fans together then connect them to one connector.. wouldn't be enough power to juice them all

Thanks Demalii, you're quite helpful.

Is anyone aware of a system that would allow me to control 5+ cpu fans via software, or monitor my case, cpu, ambient, vga, and hdd temp via software?

Links to any fan-controlling software would be quite helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom