Determining what PSU to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

forlorn_ronin

In Runtime
Two Questions...

How exactly do you know what power supply to get? Meaning what are the determining factors. Also, if a standard wall plug(GFI) has a 600w load will using any power supply over 600w overload your circuit breakers on your houses breaker box?

Thanks!

depends on your budget and the specs of your rig

and

just because it says 600watts doesnt mean it will use that much i belive a system with a 8800gtx only actually uses like 350-400watts

Heres the system specs... suggestions on psu? I really am worried about going to a 1000w psu as Im pretty sure the wall socket cant handle the load. But you tell me...

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooler

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

XFX PVT80FSHF9 GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card

Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003SWA Silver ATX Full Tower Computer Case w/ 25CM Fan

Its my lil monster... cant wait to see the graphics from it!

Thanks

OCZ GameXStream 600W

Now, 600W is more than you'll ever be using but I have an OCZ ModStream and it's great and I've heard the GameXStream series is even better. And just look at the specs; 83% efficiency, four +12V rails with 18A each. It gives you plenty of power for a possible future SLI setup (you'd have to get some molex>pci-e converters since it "only" has two pci-e connectors, then again I wouldn't recommend SLI). Top top it off it has a blue LED and you can get a $20 mail-in rebate on it.

For that Build you will need a 450 to 700Watt power supply. Depending on how much room for upgrading and adding parts you think you need.

Stick to these Brands and youll be in the clear. Top 5 Are best of the Best (Cause I never list low ends :p)

PC Power and Cooling
Zippy
Etasis
Corsair
Silverstone
Seasonic
OCZ
Fortron
Mushkin
Tagan
Enermax
Xclio (GoodPower)