Extend USB Cable With CAT5

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuraiwarrior

In Runtime
so im doing a project with my xbox, im installing all the xbox hardware into a pc case, now i need to come firm if i could use a CAT5 cable to sold to usb. for example the xbox uses use interface for the controller ports, i need to get the ports connect to the motherboard from all the way in front. now would i be able to use a CAT5 ethernet cable and just splice and solder from usb cables on motherboard to the usb cables on the front ports. possible?

i have spae cat5's

what type of wire to get?
plus theirs more cables in one cat five then cutting a bunch of individual wires..... i wouldnt have to match the colors, correct?

Yes you would need to match colors.
Here is a cross section of a cat5 cable
img_copper1.gif

and
Here is the cross section of a USB cable
USB%20high%20full%20speed%20cable%20low%20res.png

So you would have some extra wires that would not need to be used. And substitute orange color for red, you should have no issues at all.

Just go to Radioshack or something and get some 20 - 22AWG wire. It's like 5$ for 75yards.

CAT5 is really small and difficult to work with. You might find regular wire easier to use and get a better connection with it.

It doesn't really matter what kind of wire you use....you can solder on a bread tie if you want, as long as it's conductive. ;)

in poorman's post im not quite sure what he means, does he mean the only color i have to match is the orange, on the CAT5, to the red, on the usb? because on my cable and on his diagram of the CAT5 theres only a couple color similarities to the usb which i red black white and green.

It doesn't matter what color wire you connect to the other wire, as long as it's the same on both ends.

Meh, phone wire is usually solid, I prefer standard wires.

You guys should just get a spool of wire, it's cheap. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom