problem with explorer.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phate

In Runtime
on startup, after logging into my user account, explorer loads about 1/3 of the way. it draws some of the icons, some only drawn half way (doesnt load specific icon images), some arent drawn at all, it draws the start menu field, but not the actual images on it (start button, blue background, tray and whatnot), and it hangs there. i cant click the icons, and when i mouse over the start menu i get the full hourglass icon.

any idea what this is?

this is obviously a real impedement, because i cant use my sys-tray, and therefore i cant use TS or any drivers i have for perphirals.

looks like spyware or virus..

i had this once and eventually it made me format my c drive :)

which i think is the best option if u have a ghost of your HD :)
else it's just a bit more work :p

Ok there is a method to the madness:

1. Reboot in safe mode. (if safe mode doesn't work, I'm sorry, its time to reformat).
2. Get Ad-aware by Lavasoft.
3. Intall and scan. Remove any possibly harmful files.
4. Get Spybot Search and Destroy.
5. Intall and scan. Remove any possibly harmful files.
6. If this doesn't fix the problem its definitely time to reformat.

Good luck.

By the way what OS?

OS - Windows XP Home(?) SP2
Antivirus - sad to say i dont really have one ATM, because i visit a lot of "alternative" sites, and they get blocked and stuff, but i do have scanners, just dont use them much. im a D student in care of my computer :D

firewall - none, hardware firewall on the way.

if ad-aware and spybotSD fails, spydoctor could work, it worked for my bro's pc :) but in a week it came back, so we decided to do a format anyway, i love format c: :D

It may not be a spyware

You know what, it may not be a spyware/virus/*ware. It may be because there is a program that does not need to start when you login. I had this problem, one program was in my startup registry twice, and it took me a lot of time. Try this:
start>run>msconfig
then go to startup list and see if you have any unusual programs. Remove any programs that do not need to be started. (javaschedule, qttask, and other random 3rd party).

Hope that helps.

:) :) :) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom