PSU 12V+ question on the 8800GTS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fayt19

In Runtime
the 8800GTS says :

System Requirements - Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amps.)

I've been looking for a PSU that has a 12V+ rating of 26 amps and the only ones I can find are SLI supported and are 100+ dollars....Doesnt the 8800GTS take 2 12V+ cords? or is that just PCI Express cords? I have a PSU that are ratings of 18 amps so if it takes 2 does it add them together?

^^^Yup. at first I didn't get it either but he's right. On newegg look for dual 12V powersupplies. on the spec page of each power supply it should say the rail and then the Amperage on the rail. such as +3.3@24A,+5V@24A,+12V1@19A,+12V2@19A,+12V3@19A,-12V@0.8A,+5VSB@3.0A This is from the PSU I have. It has 3 12V rails delivering a maximum of 57 amps. Now this isn't what it will deliver consistently which you would soon discover after doing some snooping about the spec sheet on antec's website and some simple math but to explain it would take multiple pages. In summary, almost any dual 12V rail PSU will have plenty of power for a 8800 GTS. just make sure the sum of the amperage on each 12V rail adds up to over 26.

Also remember if you (just for the sake of clarification) get another 8800gts for sli, then you would have to divide your total +12 amperage in half to see if you have enough power for both.

A froton 400w psu would be enough to power your system.

Check trieclipse's sticky if you want more clarification ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom