backup software

Status
Not open for further replies.

sipapu

Beta member
Used Drive Image on my old WIN 98 computer-worked like a charm. Tried it on New WIN XP computer- no good. Symantec suggested updating to version 7-same problem: It would say the back up was good but verifying said no good. Tried working with Symantec to no avail and then purchased True Image. Same problem: Says back up is successful but verification says "corrupted image." Sent Acronis 3 e-mails but getting nowhere.

Have tried everything: Checking RAM, and deleting all unnecessary programs (even virus protector), used Disk Cleanup, Chkdisk, and defrag on all hard drives-problem still exists.

Have 2 hard drives. Main drive is partitioned into two drives C and D both NFTS. C is my main drive containing the back up software; backup was to the D drive. Also have a second drive (G) which is in FAT 32 form but this should have no effect as it isn't being used in this situation.

I am confounded. Do I have a successful backup or a corrupted one.
Is this a software problem or a win XP problem? What can I do to get a proven backup BEFORE I really need it?

sipapu said:
Used Drive Image on my old WIN 98 computer-worked like a charm. Tried it on New WIN XP computer- no good. Symantec suggested updating to version 7-same problem:

maybe I'm retarded, but isn't DriveImage made by partitionquest not symantec? have you tried norton Ghost? if nothing works that is telling you there is something wrong with the partition structure. I've run into a problem like this before. it was from me making an image on a 160GB hard disk and trying to restore it on a 120GB hard disk. so what is the size of the hard disk you made the image on and what is the size of the hard disk you want to restore it to?

Never used them programs before but use Nortons ghost and works AOK with me on XP pro (NTFS)
The only difference I can think of between the 2 OS'es is that you must of been using FAT32 on your 98 system and now youre using NTFS. Maybe the problem originates around that area

i think the filing system is not important because i beleive it will overwrite info to the partition table. anyways that would not explain the image check error.

The main hard disc is partitioned into segments of 58 GBytes each. I still cannot believe that the second drive (G) consisiting of 30 GBytes can be problem despite being FAT 32 for it doesn't (I believe enter into the picture when backing up the C to the D drive.

I know of Ghost (another Symantec product-this alone turns me a bit due to their nott being able to solve the probelm of Drive Image,also their other product )

By the way; Symantec has taken over Partition Quest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom