blank screen when installing new graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keymaster16

Solid State Member
ok this is the second graphics card i've bought (had to retune first one de to RAID issues)

graphics card specs:
3D fuzion GeForce 7600 GS
PCI Express
256MB

i use a compaq computer with a PCI Express slot and GeFroce 6150 LE integrated graphics. bought it about a year ago now. (bought the graphics card today, on sale at staples, I live in canada)

Ok I disable the integrated graphics display, powered off, disconnected, open up my case, (grounding myself first of course), I insert the new card (removed the drivers from my other graphics card a long time ago), close up, reconnected everything (monitor plugged into new port on card) , booted upÂ…and nothing, I get a blank screen (yes my monitor is turned on, hp vs19e) not even a windows logo, I remove the card and start up again and everything works fine.

Help? Thanks in advance!

There may not be enough power even though there should be. I would test the card out in a better machine to see if its the card just in case.

in your compaq, that card should have a 4 pin molex connection for power. Are you plugging it in.

Also, those manufactured boxes typically dont have a big psu. Check the psu power rating (on the side of the psu) typically on decent cards, they want a minimum of a 350-400w psu.

Read the manual of the card that you bought for their recomendation.

Also, put the new card in again, and this time instead of turning it off when you get a black screen, swap the video cable to the onboard card to see if that still has an output signal. Some motherboards will not accept disabling an onboard display if it doesn't currently detect an alternate.

thanks for replying you two,

psu rated for 300W max,

@zep867
stupid thing didn't say anything about power recommendations, even in the detailed installation guide.

and no i wasn't i looked all over the card but only found two little prongs, next to a couple of capacitors, i tried plugging onto that, my computer wouldn't even start when i did that. And for your third question I did that before as well, thinking the same thing, no dice, it showed a blank screen on both VGA ports(all three acually, i eve tryed the other one on the card).

thank you two for your input, but i haven't gotten anywhere, rather i'm more confused then when i started, any other advice?

also, my computer IS the best in my house:p no other one i can try on...

again, thank you and thanks in advance.

Hmmm...

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/08/30/3d_fuzion_geforce_7600_gs/1.html

thats it right?
Yea, that one doesnt have a 4pin, (which is odd)

a 300w may not be enough. I know the 6800xt I have in my box right now recommends a minimum of 400w. Although that card does use a little more power.

At this point though, without being there to take a look myself, psu is the only thing I could think of.

I'd find a local electronics store that has a bountiful array of components and pick up a 450 or 500w psu. Make sure the store has an easy return policy. Some stores like compusa and bestbuy have restocking fees on returns.

Try the new psu, if it doesn't work, you know that isn't the issue - return the new psu.

If it does work, -return the psu/ but hit newegg.com or tigerdirect.com and buy a cheap power supply. I've seen 550's on newegg go as cheap as $20. Most electronics stores you'll spend that x5.

----------------------------------

Edit:

http://www.3dfuzion.com/cards_7600GS_pcie_256.asp

under system requirements: A 350W PCI Express compliant system power supply

So try the new psu, let me know if that works.

:sigh: well if thats the case then i'll just retun the card, if i'm going to buy a new power supply then i'll wait till i get a comp that can make good use of it (e.g. duel core, SLI) sorry i wasted your time, but thank you very much for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom