8800 GTX.. not enough power??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cementshoes

In Runtime
I've heard that with this setup I won't have enough power to run it... Is this true? I've also heard that i need a quad something processor to run it...

Here's what I bought.
Case: Digital Storm Twister VALUE (Black Edition)
Power Supply: 550W Thermaltake (SLI Compatible) (Silent PurePower Edition)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz (1066MHz Front Side Bus) (2MB Cache) (Conroe)
Motherboard: Asus P5N-SLI (Chipset: nForce 570 Intel) (SLI Compatible) (Conroe)
Memory: 2GB DDR2 Corsair at 667MHz (Dual Channel)
Hard Drive 1: 320GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Optical Drive 1: Sony DVD-ROM/CD-ROM (DVD Reader 16x / CD Reader 40x) (Includes Power DVD)
Network Card: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8800GTX 768MB (By: eVGA) (PCI-Express)
Sound Card: Motherboard Multi-Channel High Definition Audio (7.1 Channel)
Cooling: Air Cooling (Certified Digital Storm Heat-sink and Fan (Stage 1 Cooling)
Case Lighting: Blizzard Internal Lighting (Green Edition) (Cold Cathode Tubes)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows XP Home (Includes Windows Vista Basic Upgrade)
Protection: McAfee VirusScan Plus 2007 (Includes: AntiVirus, FireWall and AntiSpyware)
Keyboard: Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard (Highly Recommended)
Mouse: Logitech G7 Laser Cordless Mouse (High-Speed Gaming Grade) (Recommended)

Will this not work? If it won't then I don't know what to do it's being built... Please tell me it will, and if it won't then tell me what I can do to fix it.

550W is enough power for that setup but try going with a brand name PSU such as Silverstone etc. TT is good but not the best in the PSU business

I think hes worried that his overall spec isnt good enough for a 8800GTX but it will be, thats a good processor, good ram, psu "should" be ok but as you said its already being built so if you did run into any issues with that psu then you will have to send it back maybe and get a better brand one, but id be surprised if that psu wasnt sufficient

If its not to late you should try to exchange the e6400 and spend an extra hundred bucks to get the e6600. You will have double the cache and be able to overclock a lot higher.

Your post actually brings a question up for me i have wandered about before, it affects you too.

If you have the 8800 running will you still be able to hook up a physics card or sound card. I know the pci slots are not blocked, but with all the heat the 8800 gives off will it just fry a soundcard ?

FourTwenny said:
If its not to late you should try to exchange the e6400 and spend an extra hundred bucks to get the e6600. You will have double the cache and be able to overclock a lot higher.

Your post actually brings a question up for me i have wandered about before, it affects you too.

If you have the 8800 running will you still be able to hook up a physics card or sound card. I know the pci slots are not blocked, but with all the heat the 8800 gives off will it just fry a soundcard ?

I dout very much it would be hot enough to "fry" a soundcard thats 2-3 inches away from it

All video cards pull in the air from the top and push it out to the sides. Regardless the air isnt hot enough to hurt anything in your case, including your sound card. Hes also using onboard audio just so you know. I would get a 8800 GTS instead of a 8800 GTX and opt for a e6600. That 2gb of corsair should be pretty overclockable. What people are talking about is bottlenecking. Im guessing stock the e6400 might be a slight bottleneck but its nothing to cry over. Getting a e6600 and overclocking would eliminate that. Dont buy the e6600 just cause of the slight chance of bottlenecking.

I honestly think you will get much more performance using an 8800gtx over an 8800gts, so I say you stick with what you have. an e6600 is definately not 25% faster than an e6300.

And honestly, bottlenecking isn't that big of a problem as you guys make it out. He can overclock the e6300 to a point where "bottlenecking" wouldn't affect it anyway.

I'm not over clocking anything. When I get the computer that's exactly how it'll be forever. I just don't wanna mess with any of that. But thanks for the advice, and I'm glad there should be enough power.

Like he said hes not overclocking. He would get more fps getting a 8800 GTS and a e6600 rather than a 8800 GTX and a e6300. There would definatly be a bottleneck with a 8800 GTX and a e6300, not so much with a 8800 GTS and a e6600.

I dont think a E6600 would bottle neck an 8800GTX, the E6600 is a very fast processor with lots of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom