7600,7900,7950?

Status
Not open for further replies.

objecterror

Daemon Poster
Alright, I've had my pc for roughly 6 months, it runs exceptionally well. Take a look at my sig for details, now to the point.

A few topics back a user suggested i purchase a 7900 card instead of running SLi with my current 7600GT by evega. I've looked at a few cards, one in particular is in fact by XFX.

There 7900 does not support SLi, has a lower clock speed then my 7600 but, does in fact rear more pixel pipelines, which i have read makes a serious difference in rendering graphics in video games and such. I.E the more piplelines, the smoother the graphics.

But, if i want a upgrade to either SLi or a single card, should i go with the 7900GT? and also, how can one get the max resolution on a monitor? or does the actual support fall on the monitor itself.
Example: 7600GT max resolution is 2560 x 1600 my current resolution is 1280 x 1024

The max resolution depends on what you're monitor can actually display, I'm sure your current 7600GT can probably produce some resolutions out of your monitors frequency range.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ENE&Manufactory=1669&Description=7900&Ntk=all

Any one of those would slay SLI'd 7600s. Also where did you get your idea that they don't support SLI? Besides the point that SLI is completely worthless almost all if not every single one of the 7900's can be SLI'd.

I remember you, you were the one who told me to overclock, I've set my motherboard to auto overclock, does that count? And as far as SLi goes, yes, i've read the 'cold hard truth' bout it, i'am not seriously a fan, probably because i lack Quake and other games like it but, oh well.

So, i need a monitor with a higher resolution and a 7900, i think one of the GT models will suffice.

I don't think there are monitors that support a resolution of 2560x1600. I've got a 21" CRT myself, and the max supported resolution is 1800x1440 (I use it in 1600x1200 though).

A 7900GT would be a very good upgrade.

objecterror: After getting my new monitor (1680x1050 vs 1024x768) and blowing my 7900 gs (hit 800/1700 before it died at 1.7v) I was forced to get a new video card. I picked up a 512mb XFX 7950 GT for under $300 with 2 day shipping. I put my vf-900 on it and did a mild overclock to 650/800 giving me a 7900 GTX. Its "Very Nice!" as Borat would say. Lol

Meithan: There are monitors that support 2560x1600. The Dell 3007WFP 30 inch for example.

What do you mean by auto overclock? Did it change anything about your system? The regular way to do it is go into Bios and start messing with the multipliers, FSB and whatever else you need to to make it stable.

M733mhz said:
What do you mean by auto overclock? Did it change anything about your system? The regular way to do it is go into Bios and start messing with the multipliers, FSB and whatever else you need to to make it stable.

In my bios, my motherboard has the option to raise the operating frequentcy etc. as i put more stress on the proc, so in high demanding times such as say, Quake 4 or FEAR, my motherboard begins to move up in incriments until it sees a steadier flow. Then once my load or workload lessens it drops. Sort of an up and down effect.

Thank you all so much for the input, now it's simply a matter of the 7900 or 7950GT, i was interested in the 7900 considering that it was only a similar price difference(i believe someone said 70 dollars?) from buying another 7600GT.

I wanted to 'experiment' with SLi, not for performance reasons but, to see it for myself and make my own assesment. I know other computer users with 4 monitors on crossfire. insane.

btw: Meithan, ty for the info on partitioning my HD, I successfully split it into 3 partitions. Although i could not partition ubuntu on there so i will wait for another hard drive upgrade.

In terms of monitor specs, i think that the Max resolution on monitors(and my budget) will suffice, although, would the resolution apply to outside frequentcies. Such as a HD TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom