Need some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I've got an 8 year old CRT flat screen 19 inch monitor. It's a big square, not wide screen or anything. I think it's about to die, because the color tends to fade in and out at times. Then again it's done this for a while so who knows maybe it has another decade of life.

At the same time, I have a 3000+ AMD cpu with an MSI K8N Neo4 motherboard. Here's my dilemma.

I either want to upgrade CPU/Mobo, or the monitor. If I get the monitor, I'll be going with a solid 22 inch wide screen LCD flat panel or something. Not sure what, but I saw one with a 5 ms response time.

As far as the mobo/cpu combo, I have no idea what to get. I guess I'd like to keep the max at 400 bucks, but at the same time I'd need to buy memory too, wouldn't I? I have DDR400 PC3200 RAM right now, 184 pin Corsair. I have 2 gigs worth though, 4x512. If I could avoid upgrading that, it'd be nice, but if I have to, I will. But let the 400 be a cap to CPU/mobo, no memory. But I'm sure I'll crap a brick if I have to dish out money for 2 gigs of RIMM or something crazy that you guys would suggest, lol.

I'm an AMD fan but I'm open to these Intel Core 2 Duo's that are supposedly dominating right now.

Anyway, just need some advice and suggestions.

A monitor is looking a little more appealing now... I just checked out an Athlon X2 4400+ (205) with some DDR2 6400 RAM (2 gig Patriot = 250 bucks, total 455) along with a motherboard I'll need which I assume from the prices I can get for around 100 bucks.

555 for CPU, Mobo, and RAM.

Is it worth it for those items? Or should I stick with my 3000+, MSI K8N Neo4, and 2 gig of DDR 400 and spend like 275 on a **** nice 22 inch flat panel wide screen 5ms monitor?

I say get a nice 300 dollar monitor.

Are you using Socket 754 or 939?
If 939, you can probably pick up a dual core Opteron, maybe a 170 or 165... or maybe just an Athlon x2 :\ but you honestly don't have that much to upgrade from while keeping DDR ram, and I think your monitor should be your first priority, you can't really use a computer without one, y'know.

Yeah, I know. I'm almost STUCK upgrading to the higher end RAM. And you're right about the monitor. Geez... this sucks though. Maybe I'll try shaving a few bucks and getting a cheaper CPU.

I'm really stuck on keeping 2 gig of RAM though, preferably 2x1gb this time around for easier upgrades.

edit - I just thought about this. I watch movies off and on on my computer. I think the monitor it is...

I guess I'll just save up the pennies for a computer fund, and build a new computer from ground up around june-ish.

edit 2 - I assume a 420 watt power supply would be okay? I've got 4 sticks of DDR RAM, 2 optical drives, 8 fans (3 with case, 2 with psu, 1 heat sink, 1 I added, and 1 small one I have sitting in front of the mobo because my northbridge fan died), and 3 hard drives that run constantly. One is set up as a backup drive for the other 3 computers on my network, and I also have 2 SATA's that run constantly. GeForce 6600 256mb. Would my power supply be decent? I wasn't sure if an LCD monitor would draw more from a PSU or not.

The cpu you have right now is fine, and you dont even need to spend $300 on a monitor, you can get a nice 19" wide for $190.

I see. So realistically, if I'm changing nothing with my system except the monitor, then the PSU should be absolutely fine? Hmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom