Animation/Gaming/Movie Computer build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meithan said:
Well, he said a £1000 budget, and the card fits the budget. I just do what I'm told. I admit for a non-gaming computer, such video card is unnecessary. However, I'm still not sure whether 3D animation would benefit from it or not. The fact that both ATI and nVidia sell specialized video cards for 3D rendering means a GPU may in fact provide a large advantage.

Tell me about it! Prices here in Mexico are around 30% higher than what Newegg sells, and the selection is far, far smaller.. no high-end parts here.
I suggest getting a dual citizenship then make a trip to a Fry's Electronics in Texas. ;)

dario03 said:
IIRC the video cards for 3d rendering are for real time display and don't help with the actual rendering. What I mean is when using stuff like CAD a better card would give faster response when turning the object but when you go to render the final product it doesn't help.

That's what I'd like to know. To be honest I don't know the difference between a regular video card and those oriented for 3D rendering. But still, the 8800GTS is a good investment, if you have the money.

-WX, we could easily pick a cheaper video card if you don't feel like spending that much. One for half the price would still allow you to play all games on the market right now.

KBlair said:
I suggest getting a dual citizenship then make a trip to a Fry's Electronics in Texas. ;)

Well, actually I already have an american citizenship because of where I was born (Puerto Rico; we moved away when I was 8 months old). I just don't have a residence because I don't live in the states, but I heard six months living there will give me one. I'm also Canadian, because of my mother, lol.

Actually, I don't even do 3D animation. You can only do 2D animation with Flash Professional 8. I'm afraid in investing in a personally built computer because of compatibility problems and I am quite a newbie in hardware and such.

I found a computer on Dell which appears to be like the one you guys have specified.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/p...imen_9200?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&~lt=popup

Brief details of the computer:

DimensionTM 9200

Processor

Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor E6300 (1.86GHz, 2MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB)

Operating system

Genuine Windows VistaTM Home Premium

Memory

2048MB DDR2 RAM (Upgraded from 1024 MB)

Monitor

19" Analogue Flat Panel Monitor

Harddrive

320GB (SATA) Stripe Raid 0 Hard Drive

Optical Drive
16x DVD+/-RW Drive

Graphic Card

256MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 7900GS

Network Card

Integrated Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000

Costs £679

Comments??

I think you'll have more compatibility problems in the long run when buying a pre-built system.

I compared the Dell you posted to how much it would cost if you bought exactly the same pieces at scan.co.uk. After selecting them, the total was £814.27 (scan is expensive!). So that Dell does seem to be a good deal, you might as well go for it.

(The pieces I selected were: E6300, GA-965P-S3, 2GB Corsair XMS2, LCD 19", 320GB SATA, XFX 7900GS, LiteOn DVD+/-RW, Vista Home Premium)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom