safe to delete contents of temp folder??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaksback

Fully Optimized
is it safe to empty the contents of \Documents and Settings\jack\Local Settings\Temp. It has a LOT of stuff that I don't know if its just taking up space and not still being used, like almost a gig!!

You shouldn't have any trouble, that is sort of a "junk" pile, where windows copies everything that it might have needed at one point or another.

There is neat utility called CleanCache that can help automate this for you

yeah, but it gave me an error that said it required windows NT 5.01 or higher and I have win2000 sp4.

so I just manually deleted everything but two which gave me a sharing violation but thats ok. we'll see if any errors come up cuz I haven't emptied the recycle bin. I can always replace something if need be.

Theres a registry setting you can edit where it deletes these files when you shut down. Besides, I wouldn't delete it unless I was done with the session, otherwise it could mess up any working sessions.

I'm not sure what the registry setting exactly is, but try using google to find it.

Not only is it safe to remove *.tmp files, but it should be done on a regular basis.

There is a built-in Windows utility that will also take care of this to some degree, Disk Cleanup: Start, Programs, Accessories, Disk Tools, Disk Cleanup.

Make sure you defrag after deleting chunks of files.

Hedda Lora

thing is a lot were NOT .temp files. I had files that were .dat,.dll,.exe,.mst.rra,.mtx,.txt,.html,.int,_Msiexec,.xpi,.xmf,.zip

Providing these are located in the TEMP directory, these can almost always also be safely deleted. I've seen some people recommend deleting them, and others recommend not deleting them.

I'd recommend leaving them in the Recycle Bin through at least one or two reboot cycles to make sure that they aren't required by something somewhere (unless you want to spend a whole bunch of time researching each).

Hedda Lora

OK, open the temp folder, press CTRL and A (to select everything) then delete. This will send everything to the recyclebin. Try all your software and if something DOES NOT work restore it. If everything works EMPTY the RECYCLER.

HTH

Delete them all you dont need them.
IF you cant delete some the its most likley some program is using them. Just delete them in safe mode in that case.

The purpose of the temp folder is the systems temporary folder.
when you open some programs (especially from the internet) your system copys it to a temp folder first and opens that copy.
This is why you can open a file and copy/paste it at the same time.

So in affect, you dont need them cause theyre only copies of things youve already got/had

Hence "TEMPorary"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom