Need Intel OCing Help pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying-Squirrel

In Runtime
Well I am looking at spending a crapload on a new upgrade to an E6600 as well as various other stuff and I need info on how to OC an Intel.

All my experience has been with AMD so any tips, tricks, links, stickies that you highly recommend please pass them along. I would prefer to know what I am doing with OCing before I actually get the new system upgrades so that when it arrives I am ready to roll it on up to 3.4ghz+ :D

Also please take a peak at my possible upgrade list so you know what I am workin with: http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140375

Thanx for the help :)

sorry to **** on your fire squire, but the fundamentals are all still there. A change from AMD doesnt change the whole architecture of a PC, you still have such thing as a multiplier, FSB and a voltage. Can you believe it? Intel have a voltage too?!?! Those robbing *******s...

plant said:
sorry to **** on your fire squire, but the fundamentals are all still there. A change from AMD doesnt change the whole architecture of a PC, you still have such thing as a multiplier, FSB and a voltage. Can you believe it? Intel have a voltage too?!?! Those robbing *******s...

You don't have to be a douche about it, there are differences.

Everything is pretty much the same. The differences is with the faster DDR2 RAM (I'm assuming you're upgrading from S939, not AM2). The faster frequencies mean you will need to use different combinations of the multiplier and FSB speeds than you're probably used to, but you should be able to get the hang of it soon.

There are tons and tons of threads on how to over clock a C2D, do a little searching and you should find all the answers you need.

Make sure you get a good cooler though, something like the Zalman CNPS9500...C2D's can run pretty warm.

oc'ing to 3.6 is no easy task unless your willing to up your voltages to something pretty high, that would be 400 fsb for an e6600.. if you wanna hit that speed easier, i'd go for a e6700, get a more guaranteed chance of hitting it.

but if you've got the balls and cooling, 3.6 is childs play

I have considered switching to liquid cooling, however I have never done it before and I don't want to go risking a $3,000 system with a first attempt at water :(

Currently I have a TT Big Typhoon and AS5 that I have been using on my AMD rig.

As far as the basics being the same... I am not an idiot, I realize that fact. What I was asking was what kind of differences are there, what to expect, etc. etc. because this will be my first experience with ddr2 and with fsb going much higher than what i have had in the past. Anyway, thanks for the replies, let me know if yall think of anything else I should keep in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom