computer restarts when playing 3d games

Status
Not open for further replies.

sturgan

Beta member
The computer only restarts when playing 3d games, could be 5 mins in or 30 mins in, but will always happen. replaced the memory and the graphics card. also scanned for viruses and spyware. even reinstalled windows. made all bios and drivers upto date.
Enabled the cpu overheat alert in bios, with no warning about overheating before restarting. Also figured if it restarted due to cpu overheating would have to wait till colled down to restart, but restarts immediately. Plus I can push the cpu to other limits by transcoding video while running other programs. Used a cpu stress test which passed.

hardware

gigabyte p965 ds3 MoBo
Intel Core 2 duo 6600 cpu with thermaltake cpu fan
460w power supply
2x 1 gb memory
2x sata Harddrive
1x ide ata hard drive
1x dvd drive
creative X-fi extreme gamer
ATI x1950 video card
2 case fans

Fan on the cpu is set to increase rpm when heat rises, but never really gets high rpm.

Fan on the video card runs fine, not clogged by dust, plus its new

I have 2 case fans that work fine too.

Now I use to have an ATI x700 which does not need its own power connection. But it did this with this card too. so PS should be ok. Also checked this by removing 2 hard drives and dvd drive and 1 ram stick, computer still restarts in 3d games.

MoBo is set to warn me if cpu gets over 60c which it never does.

Please if anyone can come up with something else to check.

Sounds like maybe the power supply? But if it's taking on large loads without restarting other times then I don't see why a game would do it. Is it only restarting with one game or a few of them? Are all your games on one hard drive? It could be the hdd acting up. Just a few ideas.

Hey thanks for the idea will check it out. I have the OS on 1 hard drive and games on another hard drive and video and data on the other hard drive. I will take it down to just the video and data hard drive, install the OS and a game and check it out.
By the way it does it with all 3D games. EQ2, Vanguard, Guild Wars, Battle for middle earth 1 + 2.

Thanks again will reply with result

You need to turn off the restart on system failure function.

Right-click 'My Computer' and go to 'Properties'. Now click the 'Advanced' tab, and then click the 'Settings' button under 'Startup and Recovery'. You'll see a section titled 'System Failure', with a check-box called 'Automatically Restart'. Un-check this box, and then hit 'ok' and close all windows.

Now, instead of just having the machine restart upon system failure, you should get a blue-screen-of-death which may help you sort the problem easier.

How about some specs on that power supply (brand, amps).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom