WinXP won't install

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag100

Baseband Member
I had probs with my Win-XPSP2 OEM after the power went off a couple of times while programs were running- this error message came up : 000003ee

I tried putting the CD in (paid for & registered) & 'upgrading' my installation.

Half way through, all sorts of error messages came up, 'Can't find file' 'File doesn't match Windows certification etc...

I got to the point where it said 'Setup failed to install the product calalogues' & from there on I can't get out of Setup- the PC just restarts & then resumes setup.

Is there a way I can format the HDD & do a clean install? I can get into the BIOS.

Thanks for all the help in the past- someday I may be able to answer questions myself......

If you can get hold of a windows 98 floppy disk you can boot with that, just chose to boot without CD rom support and at the A: type format C: if your disk drive is C: that is. Then take out the disk and restart with windows XP and install.

Don't understand what your saying...

The XP CD has options to format the drive built in. You can access them even if you already have XP on your HDD....

I would do a clean install after formating the drive. But first you might want to try booting the xp cd in repair mode and running chkdsk /f then try to do a repair install again....

You can put your hd in another computer and run chkdsk on it as well or even copy your personal data to a temp folder then delete the windows folders...

If you still have problems with a fresh format my guess is your RAM went bad... If you have two sticks installed try taking one out, try again, then try taking the other out, etc...

Even without any more craziness, if you put your xp disk in the drive and restart booting directly from the disk, you should be given the option to install or repair.

you can boot from cd by changing boot order in bios or tapping F10 on boot (usually, some manufacturers use other keys, but usually its the F10 key) then selecting the optical drive (cd/dvd/ whatever)

go to the install option, select the current partition, hit d to delete, then L to confirm. That'll delete the partition with the OS on it.

The setup should then take you to the partition selection screen (again). Select unpartioned space, and it'll ask if you want to do a Full format or a quick format.

The only difference between the two is the full format does a low level disk check as well, where the quick just throws the file system together quick and dirty.

I'd say, since you had issues with a corrupt installation before, do a full format. After formatting it'll copy essential windows install disks then reboot for the rest of the install.

Just watch the on-screen steps and you'll be fine.

And make sure you have all important data backed up before hand. After a format you aren't getting it back.... unless your spenting massive amounts on money that is.

Thanks for your help guys. I tried formatting from a Win98 floppy, it said 'Drive C does not support format'.....

Here's the thing- no matter WHAT I do, it keeps going back to setup, & can't complete setup.

I can boot from the CD, & click on 'cancel setup' - no matter what, it just goes back to setup.

One other thing i should have mentioned, is that I have 'Recover Pro' installed- it keeps going to that & creating a restore point. If I try to go to an early restore point, it says all sorts of nasty things- Like my PC will crash & never work again & so forth.

Good idea about putting the HDD in another PC & doing CHKdisc- but our other PCs are Win 98.

If I just bought a new HDD & replaced this one (keeping it for a second HDD) can I just put the XP disc in & install Windows?

Sure.

but when you do the install, pull the old drive to avoid any issues.

after doing the install and when your done installing drivers and the whole shindig, re-add the old disk and reformat it through disk management

Fixed the sucker!

It was Phoenix Recover Pro causing the problems. Everytime I tried to do a format or anything, it would take over & change it back the way it was.

I eventually restored back as far as I could, despite dire warnings from R/Pro, then was able to format the drive & do a clean install.

It's running so well now it's scary- or at least it was until I installed LG ODD auto firmware update, & had trouble starting it...

Thanks for your help guys- hope this helps someone else. I notice a lot of people come on, ask a question, then disappear- like they've fixed it & don't need this forum any more.

That sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom