New video card Messing Up PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

__Camouflage__

Daemon Poster
VisionTek Xtasy 9200SE/eMachines W2686

I have an eMachines W2686 with an FIC AM37 Motherboard, and I am trying to install a VisionTek Xtasy 9200SE that I got from a friend. I uninstalled my onboard video, shut down the computer, plugged in the new card, and plugged in the monitor. I tried booting it back up, but everytime I boot it back up, it says, "Check System Cables." On the monitor as there is no video being "broadcasted" from the video card. I the Switched back to my onboard video, and it booted fine. Then, I went into the BIOS and disabled the VGA, and plugged the monitor back into the video card and it's still not wanting to boot with the video card. I was wondering if I did something wrong, or am I missing something? Thanks in advance Jeremiah.

Sorry for the double post, anyway, the card does infact work, I got it from a friend that had it in an HP desktop, and he's moving, and happened to buy a new computer, so I offered to help him move some things for the video card, and he said it was alright, the computer was just running fine a few days before I got the card, which the few days that I waited the computer had been shut down, and packed, so it should be fine still.

Alright, as some of you may know, I just got a used Visiontek Xtasy 9200SE from a friend for my 'Internet' computer. Anyway, while hooking it up, I had some problems with it. At first the card wouldn't show any sign of life, but I brought it in my house from my work trailer, and I hooked it up. It was seeming like it wanted to work, but the card still didn't show any sign of life. I took the case apart, removed the battery and cleared the CMOS. I hooked the monitor up through the onboard video (ProSavageS3, if I remember correctly) and it booted fine. At that time I only had my Monitor hooked up (No mouse, keyboard, aftermarket hardware) and it booted, I could see the BIOS flash. I then powered the compter down, plugged in the keyboard and mouse, and continued to boot it up, nothing happened, no video, but I did get power to CPU and everything. I powered it back down, put in the video card, again with nothing but the video card and monitor, and it booted fine, so I again powered down, plugged in the keyboard and mouse, and nothing happened once again. Any ideas on how to fix this, and get my computer to boot up with both mouse/keyboard and monitor? I also forgot to mention, everytime I plug in the power cord to the PSU, the computer automatically turns on, is this suppose to do this? If I'm not mistaken it's not, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks in advanced, Jeremiah.

It's a 250W PSU, so I don't think it will be enough, even though my friend had it in an OLD HP Desktop, with a smaller PSU if I'm not mistaken.

Wow, that's pretty small.

What else is in the computer? Just optical drive, floppy, HD, mobo? Nothing in the PCI or AGP slots?

Nope, nothing but drivesm HD, and Mobo... I think it is the PSU, 'cause now it's just not wanting to turn on.

I had a switch on the back of the PSU, it said 115, and It had a 115, and a 230, could I switch it to 230, and see if it works?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom