Master and Slave drive help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tehoverlord

Beta member
Okay, I just came into possession of a new harddrive. I wanted to make it a slave but it is a master only drive. So I want to make my old master into a slave so I could make this new drive the new master, follow me? The only problem is that hte new drive has no operating system. When I try to do a windows xp install off of the installation cd i have it just says No Operating System Found, or something like that. It sucks that it is stuck as a master otherwise I would make it the slave drive. I hate to throw it away. So can anyone tell me what I should do here? Do you need some more info? Any help is appreciated!!!

I think it's says No Operating System Found, because you need the CD-ROM as the first boot priority, rather than the hard drive. You can set this in the BIOS. Also I don't think a hard drive can be master only. What kind of hard drive is it? IDE or SATA? If it's IDE, there is a jumper on the pins, that you can set it to either master or slave mode. There should be a label on the hard drive, that will tell you where to put the jumper to set it to slave. If it's SATA, then you have to set it to master, via the BIOS, making it the first hard disk boot priority.

It just says Slave: Off so I figured that it meant that it can't be used as a slave drive.

What should I do then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom