RAM Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sceazy

Beta member
I went out and bought some RAM, came back, put it in, and it wouldn't work. The computer emitted a longer-than-normal beep upon starting, and wouldn't do anything. It's a (as far as I can remember)
A8N-SLI nforce4 motherboard, the ram I currently have in it is two 512 Kingston DDR PC3200. The RAM I bought is a Comstar (quote straight from the package) "PC3200, 1GB, DDR400, 184-Pin". I've tried putting it in with the other two, replacing one of them with it, but nothing works.... dunno why, cause as far as I know it's the same type that's in there now. Any ideas?

well first of all welcome to Tech-forums,

its a weird coincident, because i just bought a stick of 512mb corsair today as well:D
anyway u probably mixed up the RAM's that were in the slots because if u switch a RAM stick from slot one with a different stick ur computer will automatically give u beep codes , try finding the correct order of the 2 sticks and then try adding the other stick u bought at the end.
if that doesnt work i suggest running a Microsoft memory test on each stick by using one stick at a time http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Yeah... the two other sticks only work in pairs.. though I've also heard something about some of the A8N type motherboards having to have the ram in pairs, not being able to only put in three... so that could be it... dunno if it's true for the A8N-SLI board or not...

Yep, I was right, it had to be in pairs, I bought another 1gb Comstar stick, put it in with the other comstar and the two kingston, and it works... so now instead of having 2gb's of ram, I have 3. Can't say I'm complaining :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom