Help with graphics card/mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlugComputers

Solid State Member
Hello all.

I was looking for some help with my computer that I recently did some overclocking with. I have an AMD x2 3800+ that was running at 2.2Ghz, not a big deal, pretty small overclock. I also have a Geforce 7800GT that I was doing some OC'ing too. I changed the PCI Express frequency in my bios from 100Mhz to 106Mhz, trying to get a little extra out of my GPU.

Right after exiting the bios my computer just powered off. I cleared the CMOS on my motherboard, thinking that the graphics card couldnt handle that. But my computer will still not boot. When I hit the power button the fans all start up and I hear the hard drive running, but no picture is displayed on my monitor.

My motherboard is an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium and XFX Geforce 7800GT graphics card.

I know the graphics card works, as I put it in a different system and it worked fine. I also tried using the graphics card from the other system in my computer, but same result, no image onscreen. So the graphics card is fine, possible a problem with the PCI express port now? Not too sure.

Any help is appreciated, thanks alot fellas.

This should be lesson learned well.

Don't ever change the PCI bus frequency! That's not how you over clock the video card, that's how you over clock the entire bus on which it communicates with the CPU.

To over clock your video card, you use programs such as Rivatuner, ATi tool, etc.

It is indeed possible that you fried the port or pathways in-which it communicates with the rest of the board. However, see if you can get your hands on another PCI-e card to confirm this. It's unlikely you fried something by such a tiny increase, but then again - the PCI bus is very finicky and sensitive to minute adjustments.

Good luck.

I actually got it fixed...

it was a problem with the memory...(?) I took out my Corsair XMS DDR400 and put in a stick of old 512MB memory that was DDR400 as well. I used that memory to boot, reset the bios to the defaults, left the computer on for a few minutes and then shut it down.

After shutting down I replaced the old stick of memory with my Corsair XMS that was in there previously and it booted up fine. Weird? I think so.

Don't really know what was going on, but seems to be working great now. Any explaination as to what could have happened?

when you OC the system bus you throw everything out of wack. chances are your ram didnt like the settings and was keeping the machine from booting.

there is a moral in this: dont OC the Pci-E bus! EVER!

Glad it was nothing serious.

As I said, it is unlikely you did damage at only 106MHz...but you could have fried your card had you raised it high enough.

If you'd like to over clock your video card, download ATi Tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom