1st-Timer Build [AM2] (no intels please) Need feedback before I buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

turboxchaz

In Runtime
I know I've been suggested the Intel Core2Duo many times yet I shrugged it off, but I really want to be an AMD fan. I don't think its healthy to go back and forth.
Before we begin, if I stick with this AM2 MOBO, am I able to upgrade my processor to new AMD versions (since they will possibly be better than Core2Duo)?

THIS IS FOR A STOCK COMPUTER, NO OCING OR SLI/CROSSFIRE

Processor
Athlon X2 4200+ AMD - 169.00
MOBO
DFI Infinity Socket AM2 - 88.99
RAM
2 x 1GB sticks - 189.99
Video Card
eVGA GeForce 7950GT - 214.99
Hard Drive
WD Caviar 160GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s - 62.99
PSU
Antec 550W - 109.99
OP Drive 1
DVD/CD RW - 23.99
OP Drive 2
CD RW - 17.49
Case
Apevia Black Steel Tower ATX - 119.99
Monitor
CHIMEI 19" 2ms Widescreen - 214.99
Approximate Total - 1162.41 [Without Tax or Shipping]

I know I'm kinda paying too much for a case, but hey its a tower and it fits my junk. I want a monitor because my current LCD is a piece of no-brand junk.
Let me know anything before I buy all this.

Updates:
1. Changed Video Card from GeForce 7800GTX to 7950GT

I know I've been suggested the Intel Core2Duo many times yet I shrugged it off, but I really want to be an AMD fan. I don't think its healthy to go back and forth.

i love this guy already....!!!

and as far as the build goes....i say change the grahpics to this-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150216
because there is no reason to get a recertified 7800, when you can get a new 7900gt....

and yes, stick with AM2, it is the future of upgrading for AMD....

^i read in a gamespot article and i THINK that it showed that 7800GTX performed better than a 7900 during high performance..meaning when theres lots of ppl in a game area, the 7800GTX had more Frame/sec.

I could be wrong, but my goal for the video card is for a better fps under harsh conditions.

Yeah i love him too LOL:p

Hmm if your going am2 why not get the 5000+ model at least? it doesnt start getting expensive until you get to the X2 5200+ (2.6ghz), and even then thats cheaper than say a E6600(well in the uk it is anyway)

It's hard to say if this board will support future sockets of AMD CPU's... first they need to be released... Also, just because they use the same number of pins or a similar socket, doesn't necessarly mean that a future CPU will work in it... There are some Socket 775 motherboards that the C2D's aren't supported in.

I would also recommend Seagate drives over Western Digital.... Seagate is afterall, #1 in the HDD market... :cool:

turboxchaz said:
I know I've been suggested the Intel Core2Duo many times yet I shrugged it off, but I really want to be an AMD fan.
Awesome, thanks for suggesting it to me when I, too, would rather want an AMD lol

The monitor you posted looks pretty nice. I'm thinking of upgrading my old CRT and Chimei was one of the brands that looked pretty good to me.

7950 > 7800gtx > 7900gs.
but the 7900 gs is still a great card.
i love you too.
im surprised you haven't had the usual intel user amd bash fest going on in this thread yet.
ethereal, from what i have read the am3 cpu's will be compatible with the am2 socket mobos. but the am3 mobo will not be compatible with am2 as it will use ddr3 ram.
johnny uk,
i dont thing the performance increase with the 5000 is worth it, do you?
he can overclock a 4200 easily to the speed of the 5000, with really a small voltage increase ( i run mine most of the time at 2.65 on 1.4V). and the overclocking ability of the 5000...i dunno. i would be impressed if it clocked over 3ghz. i don't see many (really i NEVER see) amd x2's clocked past 2.8-2.9ish. i read one review in legitreview.com or something and they broke past 3.0 but not that far. and i think they were watercooling, lol.
good luck man!
let us know if you need help...myself and others here know a few tweaks to get the most out of that rig.

nagasama said:
7950 > 7800gtx > 7900gs.
but the 7900 gs is still a great card.
i love you too.
im surprised you haven't had the usual intel user amd bash fest going on in this thread yet.
ethereal, from what i have read the am3 cpu's will be compatible with the am2 socket mobos. but the am3 mobo will not be compatible with am2 as it will use ddr3 ram.
johnny uk,
i dont thing the performance increase with the 5000 is worth it, do you?
he can overclock a 4200 easily to the speed of the 5000, with really a small voltage increase ( i run mine most of the time at 2.65 on 1.4V). and the overclocking ability of the 5000...i dunno. i would be impressed if it clocked over 3ghz. i don't see many (really i NEVER see) amd x2's clocked past 2.8-2.9ish. i read one review in legitreview.com or something and they broke past 3.0 but not that far. and i think they were watercooling, lol.
good luck man!
let us know if you need help...myself and others here know a few tweaks to get the most out of that rig.

cuz...dual core opterons with 2x 1 mb L2 caches OCed to 3.0ghz+ will beat any e6300.....:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom