casenickles

Beta member
I built this rig back in 2004 and my motherboard in it just died

Pentium 4 2.4ghz 800mhz FSB 512k L2 cache
MSI motherboard 865pe chipset
120gb western digital SATA drive
512mb ddr400 running dual channel
Video Card: MSI FX 5200 128mb ram

I can't decide which new processor and motherboard to buy.

All I need is something one step above. So which current processor is one step up from a P4 2.4ghz 800FSB? How about those cheap Sempron 64's?

Ideally I'd also like to know which video chipset is one step above an FX5200 also.

I looked at many processors on newegg but inconsistent reviewers make it difficult to discern which CPU is the one to choose if all I want is a modest speed increase.

thanks for reading

Start by giving us a budget then we can help you out with what you should get. Also, what are you going to be doing with this computer?

yeh im agreeing with M733mhz, we need a budget here.

A moderate speed increase ok but, but you can get a great speed increase from that CPU for a small price these days, Why that graphics card, you could improve on that one for a small amount of money,

If you like just tell us the Parts you want, what your using them for, and the money you want to spend, and we will design you a new a pc :p

K M A N said:
yeh im agreeing with M733mhz, we need a budget here.

A moderate speed increase ok but, but you can get a great speed increase from that CPU for a small price these days, Why that graphics card, you could improve on that one for a small amount of money,

If you like just tell us the Parts you want, what your using them for, and the money you want to spend, and we will design you a new a pc :p

I don't have a pre-set budget. All I wanted to know is simply what hardware would give me a small, modest, noticeable increase in speed.

Does my budget somehow affect how fast the hardware runs because I thought that hardware runs at the speed it was designed to when it was manufactured?

Following that logic it makes sense to me that there would be something currently on the market I could buy brand new from newegg.com that would match or perhaps slightly exceed the speed of my rig that just took a dump.

My rig suited me very well but some increase in raw speed would be nice. I do what anyone else could do with a rig like mine. Surf the internet, rip some DVD's, listen to music. The normal stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom