More Newbie Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

turboxchaz

In Runtime
1. What exactly are PCIes and I have to make sure I have enough of them on my motherboard right?

2. How do I know my X-X-X-X (The Ram Timing) for my motherboard so it's compatible to my RAM?

3. How can I make sure I can have enough space for a heatsink or watercooler?

4. I heard you could only use 50% of your Harddrive space otherwise it would kind of mess it up in a way. True or false?

1. PCI-E is a graphic interface, all new video cards use PCI-E

2. Your MB will not have a limit of the ram timing, it all works

3. Go to the manufacturers website and they should have a list of the compatible mainboards and CPU's

4. True but only when you have filled it up to about 80 - 90%, I would recommend a Defrag and a Disk Cleanup wen you have reached those levels and a new hard drive for files

unless he meant general PCI slots and put PCIes, PCI is a slot on your motherboard you normally have 3 or 4. They connect devices like modems, wireless adaptors, soundcards, old graphics cards etc. You then have an AGP slot or PCI-E slot for your graphics card only one of them is required.

your motherboard might have a limit on the speed of the ram so if you buy 800Mhz and your mobo doesn't support it, then it will downlock the ram.

The fact your asking about a water cooler but struggle to know about slots on your pc is worrying. If i was you id avoid water cooling unless you really want to overclock a lot. Check the overclocking section in this forum for more details.

yeah...um about that. i meant the pci that is like pcie x16 and the sort.

and yeah, i decided to not do watercooling or advanced heat reduction since i wont really be doing anything super crazy.

yeah PCI-E x16 is for the graphics card you only need one unless you want to do SLi or crossfire which in my opinion is overkill and a waste of money.

and good choice on not water cooling :) a stock heat sink and fan can still let you overclock if you decided too in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom