broken cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtpacygax

Banned
Hi,

So I just got my E6600, and while opening the box the cpu falls out. The black protector thing was protecting the pins, so those are fine and it landed on the top metal part. So do you think it will still work, it fell from regualr dining table height, or should I RMA it, to be safe? I dont really want to rma as i just did with my videocard and dont want to wait more, im ****sed off because i just took off the cover and it fell off. Please respond asap.

The top metal part can take a little pressure, after all it's fairly safe to scratch it with a screwdriver even (not that I tried :p)... The shock could have damaged it though, with all the magnetic stuff going on inside there and what not. I'd say it depends where you got it from whether you should RMA or not. If they just replace it no questions asked then go for it. If they test the cpu and bill you $30 if they didn't find anything then... well, then still do it. You don't want to get your system ****ed just in case, because if you put in a damaged cpu it can be hazardous to your system.

P.S.: that's why I always unpack my stuff on my bed. ;)

I got it from Newegg, but last time I RMA'd something it took like a week, so i havnt been able to build my system yet, but i guess i will rma just to be safe.

A week is nothing. When I RMA'd my motherboard with Alternate (European hardware retailer) it took a month. >_<

try it out and see.... only way to find out. i am sure it is fine, doesnt have any moving parts. If it was a hard drive, i would say you screwed yourself, but i am sure you are fine

I am just going to RMA it just because it might work at first but then in a month or so I might see problems. Can I just tell Newegg that it was defective and then get a replacement, or will they check out the cpu to see if it is so. How should I go about RMAing this one.

It's hard to imagine it was damaged. Install in and run it for 30 dyas and if it becomes defective newegg will give you another!

But do I just tell Newegg that I dropped it or what? Won't they say oh it is your fault you dropped it or something. I guess I will try it but I still have to wait for my video card to arrive anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom