Would like some help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogueSeven

In Runtime
hello,

Im currently on a HP pavilion a1034n, i seriously need to upgrade my mobo so that i can use pci- express x16 graphics cards.

my current mobo is this, an asus ptgd-la:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...570&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=460075&lang=en

the mobo im looking at is this, an asus ptgd1-la:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00297771

here is how my comp is right now + an nvidia geforce fx 5500 256mb card:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...196&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=460075&lang=en

should i be able to transfer pretty much everything i have right now over to that ptgd1-la mobo if i get it? which parts cant i if i cant?

thanks for help,
mike

CPU, RAM, hard drive, optical drives will all cross over. You'll have to reinstall Windows, so back up your data first.

Why go with an HP mobo? Buy a microATX off NewEAgg and save a buttload of dough... plus be able to overclock.

I also have an hp pavillion That I added an ati 1900 all in wonder
does it make sense to upgrade a computer such as this ?
Sorry to thread jack... just a question

Take that darn good graphics card from that pc and put it onto the PC youfirst mentioned after youve purchased a PCI-E Motherboard... but do what Trotter says and get one off newegg.

And in reply to Trotter's post... The world does not revolve around Overcloking ! but it does around saving money on new egg :p.

i tried new egg but i fins it very difficult to get a mobo like that, could anyone help me in locating one? i would prefer below $100...maybe slightly over, but needs to be almost exactly like the mobo im currently running on and have a pci-express x16

thanks for help so far,
mike

ps: i talked to an hp employee or w.e and here is what he said would not work:

* Memory module will not work as the socket is diferrent. You have to
new memory module of 184-pin DDR DIMM.

* Recovery CDs will not work as the motherboard tattoing will change,
it will not recognize the component like the graphics card and
memory.
You have to buy retail version of the Windows XP.

* Power supply may also vary and you have to change that as well.

i have windows xp retail, i beleive the power supply will work(maybe you guys can help me out on that) but on new egg i dont see "184-pin DDR DIMM" i just see "184-pin DDR SDRAM" is there a difference?

RogueSeven said:
but on new egg i dont see "184-pin DDR DIMM" i just see "184-pin DDR SDRAM" is there a difference?

It's 100% the same thing... SDRAM (Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory) is the type of memory, while DIMM (Dual Inline Memory Module) is the type of packaging. However, the specs you posted say you have 240-pin DDR2-400 memory.

I'll try and find a motherboard for you now. We need a socket LGA 775 motherboard, with DDR2-400 support, 800MHZ FSB support and preferably an Intel 915GV (or similar) chipset.

This is the only fully compatible motherboard I could find on Newegg:

Foxconn 915A01-P-8EKRS2 LGA 775 Intel 915P - $70.99
(Manufacturer's Product Page)

It's ATX though, not micro-ATX, so it might not fit your case. The rest (CPU, RAM, HDD) is compatible, and it has a PCIe x16 slot.

it says that mobo uses ddr2-533

is that compatible with the 240-pin DDR2-400 memory? will i loose any performance out of it if it can still work?

and i dont think my case can have that mobo, so i think i need to look into getting a new one, any suggestion on that? something that will fit that foxcon mobo?...preferably cheap(like $20 max maybe?) it doesnt have to be anything special as long as it works lol

RogueSeven said:
it says that mobo uses ddr2-533
is that compatible with the 240-pin DDR2-400 memory? will i loose any performance out of it if it can still work?

If you had checked the manufacturer's product page, you would've seen it states DDR2 400/533. (Newegg only states the fastest supported memory). So DDR2-400 memory is supported.

and i dont think my case can have that mobo, so i think i need to look into getting a new one, any suggestion on that? something that will fit that foxcon mobo?...preferably cheap(like $20 max maybe?) it doesnt have to be anything special as long as it works lol

Newegg has tons of cheap cases. If you're only looking for a metal box to hold you computer in it, it doesn't really matter which one you pick. Heck, even this would work.

However, I'm not 100% sure the parts inside your Dell are compatible with the standards ATX cases. We'd have to check.

it's an hp but ill look around for a case i like since you said it doesnt really matter, i want something that looks decent lol, thnx for help mate

HP, sorry... pre-built computers look all the same to me :p

And yeah, any case will do really. It's just an enclosure for the parts. Pick a case that looks good to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom