Cannot start PC --> Couple of beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phrantic said:
1 short 2 long officially means bad RAM. Ste, I think it is very useful information, rather than trying every part out there, you know directly which part to address (most of the time).

Your numlock should also flash if this is the case.

U didn't read my enitre post did you.

Right there, **** I EVEN told him to swap Memory out in a previous POST. If you can scroll up you would see it.

"Of Course it helps to know what they mean, but they aren't always right. Sometimes a beep can indicate memory when the BIOS has actual been currupt."

He Still needs to go out and buy known good parts for future problems.

nagasama said:
calmete ste.
i swear when i have my ram overclocked too much i get three long beeps.
over.
and over.
and over.
I just Get ****ed when people doubt or do not do what I say.
I told the original Poster to swap RAM out before anyone and in his next POST his still trying to figure out what the Beeps Mean.

:mad:

Ste said:
U didn't read my enitre post did you.

Right there, **** I EVEN told him to swap Memory out in a previous POST. If you can scroll up you would see it.

"Of Course it helps to know what they mean, but they aren't always right. Sometimes a beep can indicate memory when the BIOS has actual been currupt."

He Still needs to go out and buy known good parts for future problems.
I can read. But quite frankly I think your corrupt bios story doesn't make a lot of sense. Well, it's the first time that I hear it could produce a different, misleading series of beeps on a malfunctioning pc. A bios doesn't corrupt itself, maybe if he tried and failed to flash it, but nothing of that was mentioned. My point was to focus on the beeps rather than to think "**** it, those beeps could mean anything, we must tear the entire system apart".

I did in fact read all of the posts, I did also read that you first suggested the video card, and that looks to me like you just skipped right past the obvious and started taking guesses rather than to consider the beep message. Oh and ironically, it was the memory that caused it after all...

But we're still friends right. :eek:

Phrantic said:
I can read. But quite frankly I think your corrupt bios story doesn't make a lot of sense. Well, it's the first time that I hear it could produce a different, misleading series of beeps on a malfunctioning pc. A bios doesn't corrupt itself, maybe if he tried and failed to flash it, but nothing of that was mentioned. My point was to focus on the beeps rather than to think "**** it, those beeps could mean anything, we must tear the entire system apart".

But we're still friends right. :eek:

All I am saying is: Take a hypothetical situation.

Say I come home one day to turn on my computer.
The Computer does not POST and I get a series of beeps that informs me (After referring to my manual) that my Memory is bad. I then install new memory and Clear the CMOS. I then turn on the computer, Again it does not POST, and it gives me the same series of Beeps that indicates bad memory. But wait, I just replaced my memory with Known good ones. What do I do now?! So I go to bestbuy or whereever and I buy some cheap memory sticks, say one 256 MB stick. I Take out the NEW memory I just had in there, stick the cheap 256MB stick in and try to POST. Aagin, It does not POST and gives me the same set of beeps indicating memory. What Do I do now? I had just tried 2 Different and new memory Sticks. Is it possible that they are bad even If I just bought them? Yea, its possible, but unlikely. So now I have 3 Sets of memory. And all of them do not work and the motherboard continues to indicate bad memory...

The point is: Sometimes a problem exsists with the CPU, or motherboard itself and it gives the wrong Beep codes. Which means you need to be prepared to test the other components as well.

This has been known to happen, and it does. Sometimes you replace everything and you end up RMAing the motherboard and or CPU and, hey, look at that it works when you get the replacement parts. Even if the Beep codes may have indicated some other component. You need to be prepared, and you need to think of other possibilities. This is what Trouble shooting is all about. In conclusion when a Motherboard or BIOS is damaged or becomes currupt it may indicate another component even if that component works.

As for the BIOS just currupting: Again, things can become currupt from just normal use. Why does RAM go bad even if its not Overclocked? Why Do Harddrives go bad after years of problem free use, why do power supplies or video card give out over time? Everything in or connected to a computer can go bad over time. Including the BIOS, it may be rare, But its STILL possible and therefor you need to be prepared for it.

I believe you. :eek: :p

[size=-2]...but the problem still was his memory, first time he checked it worked again :eek:[/size]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom