Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkwanderer

Solid State Member
Alright so i set up my desktop for remote desktop and it worked inside of my LAN, but when i went outside of it it did not work. I have port forwarding set up on my router, but it still doesnt go through. any suggestions?

I have an Arescom modem for DSL connectivity.

Are you entering the port number on the remote desktop session? You simply can't type "mycomputer" and expect it to know what to do. You need to specify "mycomputer:portnumber" which should set off the port trigger.

Also your router should be forwarding the port to your internal IP for the computer you wish to remote desktop to. When you go to remote in externally you need to type in the IP of your DSL connection.

So i guess when i went through this with my buddy he forgot to tell me i need to put the port number in for where i want it to go. I use ipcheckin.com to check every morning so that it doesnt change on me at the last minute.

The router is set up for port forwarding to the desktop that i want it to connect in to. So what i do is put in the IP for the DSL connection and then the port that i want to go through to get to my computer?

Yes foward 3389 to the LAN ip of the computer you want to access, then when ur outside the lan you type in your wan IP and it will foward the request to the computer you specified. then once ur in you can rdp to other comps on the lan.

vernong1992 said:
u also need a VPN Client like Cisco Systems too

VPN is not needed for RDP. If there was a VPN in palce then it would work the way it does inside the office once connected to the VPN.

I think if I recall though (been a while since I have done contract work that requires RDP, used to VPN at my primary job) from outside the LAN you have to enter the actual IP address of the router then the port..so i.e. 66.77.22.39:3389 if you have multiple machines you want to connect to you would have to define custom ports for each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom