how to block an internet site/server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apokalipse

Golden Master
I want to know how I can block an internet site - specifically www.adfarm.com which I believe is a server which hosts a lot of popup ads - because I keep getting popups even with a good popup killer, and when it's on strict mode
I scanned for adware and spyware, deleted some, keeps happening
went through the registry, searched for adfarm and a few other names of popups I got, didn't find any so I tried 'popup' and deleted a few called "HTML popup window" but it still happens.

The easiest thing I can think of would be adding the site to your restricted sites in Internet Explorer.

tools -> internet options -> security -> restricted sites -> sites -> add

u can put it in ur host files so windows looks up the ip addy of adfarm there first before going to a dns server to find the ip and instead of putting the correct ip of adfarm in put ur local address in. that way windows basically tries to connect to itself when it wants to connect with adfarm. do it like this. open ur host files with note pad. it is located at windows/system32/drivers/etc. type 127.0.0.1 at the beginning of a new line(that is ur local address) then put a space and then www.adfarm.com after that and all should b well. make sure to save it without a file extension and not a .txt ext either after editing with notepad. be aware if that server is hosting more than ads like actually parts of the website it will block that also. if that confuses u windows has a sample hosts file in that one that u will edit showing how to do it.
hope that helps

heres some more stuff on this,
here is what the host file is in more depth. http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html
and here is a premade hosts list that u can just copy and paste in overwriting the original to block hundreds of ad servers
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/Downloads/hosts127001.zip
open it with notepad after u extract it to see all the different ad servers blocked with it.

run adaware. you probably have spyware/ adware. even if you can't find where it's coming from doesn't mean you dont have it. the only way they can send you a popup is if you go to their website and its a javascript popup window. if you get the popups without going to their website that means your computer is infected with adware/ spyware

I ran ad-aware 6 and spybot S&D
both did find a little spyware but didn't help

I found out adfarm's IP using command prompt like neversleeps said, so I'll try blocking it with my firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom