Which processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At stock speeds their comparable. Overclocked the E6300 is much faster. Plus the E6300 is cheaper so I would go with that.

These two processors are pretty much equally powerful. The E6300 is cheaper (and not by a small difference!), so I'd definitely go for it.

Here's a review comparing the 65nm version of the X2 4400+ (Brisbane core) to the Conroe E6300: link. The review kinda sucks, but it's the best (and closest) I could found for a 6300 vs 4400+ comparison.

FYI, the 65nm Brisbane 4400+ should perform only slightly better than the Toledo core 4400+ you posted.

TriEclipse said:
Don't bother, it'll offer roughly the same overclocking.

Uhm.. I think I'll have to disagree. For overclocking, the higher multiplier (even if it's only a tad higher) is desirable. Let me throw some figures in.

It's been proven that when overclocking Conroes, the main limitation is the FSB. I don't think anyone knows for sure what's the overclocking limit of the chip itself - not even the best motherboard can push these babies to their fullest potential.

So, let's pretend you have a good motherboard that can handle a 400Mhz FSB (overclocked from 266Mhz). With an E6300, that'd produce 400Mhz x 7 = 2.8Ghz. With an E6400, that'd be 400Mhz * 8 = 3.2Ghz. It's a 400Mhz difference (naturally), which could be very noticeable, considering the two Conroes are similar in every way except the multiplier ... and you only had to pay $35 for these extra 400Mhz. Push the FSB past 400Mhz, and your gainings will be even larger.

Rawmaterial: if you're definitely going to overclock your CPU, you might wanna consider an E6400. If not, there's no point in getting it; settle with an E6300. At stock speeds, the difference between the two is minimal.

someone suggested this -->

"Opteron 165 @ 2.7ghz overclocked on stock voltage from stock 1.8ghz"

Opterons are server CPUs. This means they're designed with the "slower but safer" concept in mind. The instruction set is limited, not containing as many game-oriented instructions as normal desktop CPUs. Opterons tend to suck at SuperPi for some reason (weak FPU?)

As I said above, for normal use, get an E6300; for overclocking, get an E6400.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom