Cannot start PC --> Couple of beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpvliet86

Beta member
Hello,

I have a question.
I cannot start my another PC.

If I turn the power on I hear one short beep and two long beeps. And no display on my screen, but my PC is on.

I think it's the video card (because i replaced the battery already) but i am not sure. can anyone give me the answer?

I hope so, thanks anyway.

If you think its the video card swap it out for a known good one.
But refer to your motherboards manual for exact beep meaning.
If its not your video card then swap RAM out for known good ones,

Yes. but I wanna know for sure, because I don't have a video card extra down here. and it's the video card on board already. It's a PC that I get from someone, so no manual of motherboard.

Thanks for the info

Give Make and model.

Swap RAM out first.
If the onboard video went you should be able to stick a V card in and have it work.

jpvliet86 said:
But there are no three long beeps but one short and two long ones
It doesn't matter what the beeps MEAN! Just trouble shoot it like I told you to and through that process you will find out what part is bad. You need to go out and buy some cheap RAM and a cheap video card so you can use known good parts to trouble shoot.

Of Course it helps to know what they mean, but they aren't always right. Sometimes a beep can indicate memory when the BIOS has actual been currupt.

Thanks for your advice.
I thought it mean something.

But i have the answer to this one. It was the memory, I did take it out and in again and the problem is solved now.

The memory has not make any contact to the motherboard I think.

Thanks all for your help.

1 short 2 long officially means bad RAM. Ste, I think it is very useful information, rather than trying every part out there, you know directly which part to address (most of the time).

Your numlock should also flash if this is the case.

yea, bad ram, every time i got a bad stick i got that beep message, or it would boot and say cmos checksum invalid (or something like that)

just swap the ram chips around, and if that dont help on some motherboards, that beep code sometimes means gpu problem, so if you got a diff graphics card, try that, and if its sli, check your settings and bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom