Take me Higher. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenMachine

In Runtime
I'm a noob when it comes to memory or any other timings for my new computer in order to overclock. The bios is arranged more complexly than my old system which i was more used to overclocking. I have a decent new setup as seen in my sig below. I've read about overclocking my processor and run into a problem which I read about on several different sites. When i take the processor a bit over, say from 200 to about 210 the pc just loops in restarting itself. Again, I guess this is due to voltages, timings, parts not running faster all around etc. Would someone care to help me get past this and take me higher? I see others' with slower computers than mine stock, running faster! I have CPUz and the ability to get any other needed information to you multiple times daily! I'm eager to get this show on the road! Thanks in advance!

thats odd that it does it at only 10mhz.
i know the problem you speak of, but mine does it when i get around 300 external clock speed.
a couple of things to try:
lower the ht multiplier from 5 to 4, or even 3. start with 4, tho. a lot of mobos do not like for the htt bus to be above 2000 (1000 x 2)AT ALL. so if you get the external clock above 250, you would want to lower it to 3, get it? my abit doesnt like the htt bus above like 1050-1100.
if i was a betting man, wait i am...lol, i would wager this is the problem.
up your voltage one notch (probably .25v)...this should allow you to boot at that (210) setting, although you should be able to (at least boot) way higher than that on stock voltage. i can boot my 4200 at like 265+ with stock vcore (stable...? pah!).
with that ram there is no way you should have to change the speed (i.e. set a "divider") at any external clock speed below at least 250ish+.
try these things and get back to me. we'll go from there.
also, what is your stock cpu multiplier? is it 11 on 4600, or 12?
p.s. your rig exceeds "decent" by a fair margin.

nagasama said:
thats odd that it does it at only 10mhz.
i a lot of mobos do not like for the htt bus to be above 2000 (1000 x 2)AT ALL.

Where are you getting 1000 x 2? You get the HTT link from FSB x LDT multiplier. So for instance, 210 x 5 = 1050. You're supposed to keep the HTT link under 1000, not 2000.

EDIT: Also, don't up the voltage for 10MHz, that's definitely unnecessary.

My bet is on either the HTT link or just a junk motherboard for overclocking. Or perhaps you got a lemon CPU, it happens.

i say 2000 because the 1000mhz on an x2 is doubled. cpu-z shows the 1000 actual, but it has 2000 effective. like ddr2 ram.
i know how to calculate the htt, man. you've seen enough of my posts to probably know that.
sorry, O.P...i like to give the big picture, didn't mean to confuse.

np bro!
i haven't heard of that mobo the o.p. has.
but my 75.00 abit can overclock pretty well...
i bet it is the htt link. some mobos are fickle fickle when it comes to that.
thats how i get my higher clocks on this mobo, anyway...low ldt...like three. tried two, but no post.??
it doesn't like high external clock speed or an overclocked htt...maybe shuda got a dfi...?
does your abit have the same problem, crazeD?

No board likes a high HTT. Pretty much every board will run unstable at over 1000MHz HTT.

Later on tonight I will type out what a section of the bios looks like.. To give you some further idea of what my dilemma is. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom