X2 3800, quick overclock question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shafra

In Runtime
Hello All, running an X2 3800 on an Asrock Dual-Sata 939 motherboard. Would pushing the chip up to 2.4ghz from the 2.0ghz be an issue? Using an Antec 550watt Truepower Trio powersupply, and have an Antec 900 case to keep it cool.

I haven't read up on what is entailed to overclock yet, I figured I'd ask if the jump is fairly safe before I bother, and if the mentioned motherboard is OK for the overclock.

Every chip is different. Don't just jump from point A to Z, go to all the letters between that...

But just so oyu know, 2.4ghz isn't THAT much for a 3800+ x2, but then again I guess it's on stock cooling ~.~

Yes, stock cooling. 26C/78F. I did remove the thermal pad and applied artic silver 5, so I'm sure that helps a bit.

you wont have a problem with that overclock.
it's quite possible you wont even have to up the voltage, therefore you wont even need to worry about the temperature (it will stay the same). (at the most)you shouldnt have to bump the voltage more than .5 to get a 400mhz oc. with that low of a starting cpu temp, you may be able to press past 2.7plus ish...tho i dont know anything about that mobo.
but definitely read up or ask questions here before you go in and start changing everything.
as stated above...every system is different. the only real way to know if a component can 'handle it" is to try it and see if it works.
you'll need to let us know your ram speed and manufacturer as well.
i'm glad to be of assistance if you need it.
good luck!

you wont have a problem with that overclock.
it's quite possible you wont even have to up the voltage, therefore you wont even need to worry about the temperature (it will stay the same). (at the most)you shouldnt have to bump the voltage more than .5 to get a 400mhz oc. with that low of a starting cpu temp, you may be able to press past 2.7plus ish...tho i dont know anything about that mobo.
but definitely read up or ask questions here before you go in and start changing everything.
as stated above...every system is different. the only real way to know if a component can handle it is to try it and see if it works.
you'll need to let us know your ram speed and manufacturer as well.
i'm glad to be of assistance if you need it.
good luck!

SORRY BOUT THE DOUBLE POST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom