DSL Modem connection options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerodayATK

Daemon Poster
hiya just got dsl from dial up and i was wondering if the usb connection or the ethernet would be faster? i know usb 2.0 is 480mbps and ehter can be 10mb/100/1000mbps .. what is better? for dsl ?

yeah i thought so but... i was just wondering bc 2.0 runs at 480mbps and ethernet is usually 100mbps.... wouldnt the usb be faster? i think im going to use the ethernet anyway...

There probably wouldn't be much of a speed difference since your dsl probably won't even use up 10mbps. Plus ethernet is more the standard and drivers aren't needed to set up the connection.

You'll probably need drivers for the usb and uses more of the cpu too.

brinks said:
There probably wouldn't be much of a speed difference since your dsl probably won't even use up 10mbps. Plus ethernet is more the standard and drivers aren't needed to set up the connection.

You'll probably need drivers for the usb and uses more of the cpu too.

Yes in my house we have three computers and we are all on a network, My pc connects to our Router hooked up to our DSL modem that is in my paren'ts room, even thought they ahve a shitty dell, thee sinternet is faster than my internet becuse they get connection direct with the ethernet, if you can get ethernet than use it, its hella better.

BiGyLiLuPdAmIdL said:
Yes in my house we have three computers and we are all on a network, My pc connects to our Router hooked up to our DSL modem that is in my paren'ts room, even thought they ahve a shitty dell, thee sinternet is faster than my internet becuse they get connection direct with the ethernet, if you can get ethernet than use it, its hella better.

Maybe you didn't set up your router or your computer correctly, there shouldn't be any difference even if you hook up to a router or directly to the modem.

brinks said:
Maybe you didn't set up your router or your computer correctly, there shouldn't be any difference even if you hook up to a router or directly to the modem.

you sure?, because its a kown fact that if you have multiple clients on a network, the network will lag a little, since peopel are sharing the connection ay?

BiGyLiLuPdAmIdL said:
you sure?, because its a kown fact that if you have multiple clients on a network, the network will lag a little, since peopel are sharing the connection ay?

Of course the internet connection will be slower if you have 2 or more people using the internet connection at the same time since you only have a limited amount of bandwidth that is being shared.

However, just by itself connecting directly to the modem or to a router the speed should be the same as long as 1 person is using the connection at that time.

I still don't quite understand how your internet speed could be slower than your parents if it's connected to the same router since your all on the same network, both you and your parents computer will have the same amount of congestion on it. Unless your saying that you are connected to your router wireless, and your parents are connected physically to the router with an ethernet cable.

Always use ethernet if possible. While USB2.0 may have a 480 connection, it won't use it all.

Besides, using ethernet will allow you to add a router to the scheme of things, so you can add other computers to the mix, plus wireless.

brinks said:
There probably wouldn't be much of a speed difference since your dsl probably won't even use up 10mbps.

no doubt.
my wireless gets max speed of 1800kbps (180mbpslol) and transfer of about 225kbps, download. upload varies from 50-90% of that.
which really kicks @$$ for wireless "i live in the sticks" internet.
keep in mind i think (think is the key word here) the 10/100/1000 is actually download rate, not transfer rate. but i could be wrong...there's a first time for eveything lol.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom