Biggest Decision of my life...GTS or GTX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
Haha yeah just being over dramatic, this isn't the biggest decision, not even close...but its important none the less! For my future system ( being 3 months or so from now ) I still can't decide wether to go with the GTS or GTX.

Reasonings for going with the GTX-

A much bigger performance differance between the two models, just check out all the benchmarks at the website:

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/980/13/page_13_final_thoughts/index.html

" While the price difference is definitely there for the GTS and GTX, the performance gains are fantastic and there is a real difference between owning a GTS and a GTX."

Reasons for going with the GTS instead-

I don't plan on getting a crazy wide screen lcd monitor and just play to play on regular resolutions 1280 and the article puts it nicely:

"The GTX isnÂ’t for anyone who isnÂ’t going to be venturing past 1600 x 1200 otherwise it simply would be extreme overkill for your needs. The GTS is going to let 1280 x 1024 LCD users get ready for DX10 but also have a huge amount of video bandwidth available to play all those intensive games like Oblivion with settings turned all the way up, without completely breaking the bank. "

In conclusion a really hard decision that I'm still stuck on. A lot say if I'm going to dish out that much money for a good system to just go with the best...but at the same time I always hate going with the high end models in that I'm going to be paying an extra premium. but their performance is a lot different. Although I don't plan on playing at crazy high resolutions I still want a card that can last me 2-3 years, anyone have any serious suggestions on which card I should go with and why?

I say go for the GTX. Obviously now, that quote there about the GTX is true, but in a year or two, you probably wont need to upgrade again.

I forgot to mention that going SLI mode in the future is a possibility, and Im trying to figure out if the GTX or GTS is a better option for that.

You don't need SLI, ****, I'll go as far as to say you don't even want it. If you actually owned the GTX I bet you'd have no want or need for anymore video performance. With a card like that, you're gonna be more worried about other things bottlenecking it, more so than getting a second one. It's been said time and time again, SLI is a waste of money. That'd be close to 1K in video cards, Just look at that figure alone and see if you still feel that you should SLI them haha. It won't be that much performance increase, especially not with a card like that, Which already whoops anything on the market and anything to come for a while now. If it's future proofing you're thinking of with the SLI thing then what about in a year when cards that make the 8800 look like a joke are out and you just have 2 mediocre cards that you spent a ton of money on. Seems a little silly to me.

M733mhz said:
You don't need SLI, ****, I'll go as far as to say you don't even want it. If you actually owned the GTX I bet you'd have no want or need for anymore video performance. With a card like that, you're gonna be more worried about other things bottlenecking it, more so than getting a second one. It's been said time and time again, SLI is a waste of money. That'd be close to 1K in video cards, Just look at that figure alone and see if you still feel that you should SLI them haha. It won't be that much performance increase, especially not with a card like that, Which already whoops anything on the market and anything to come for a while now. If it's future proofing you're thinking of with the SLI thing then what about in a year when cards that make the 8800 look like a joke are out and you just have 2 mediocre cards that you spent a ton of money on. Seems a little silly to me.

Er I appreciate ur opinion and fully agree with it, but you misunderstood my post, I said I might consider going SLI in the future ( not now ), meaning a year or two from now when the 8800 gtx or gts becomes lack luster, maybe i can give it a boost with a cousin :p

Heck for all I know maybe the R600 will only be a couple more dollars compared to the GTX and I can get that instead :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom