1 Terabyte

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're gonna save up 130 for a 7600GT might as well save up another 70 and get a 7900.

i have a 250 and a 80 and i seem to have more than most people, but a tera? Why not invest in ways to actually speed your computer up, like a killer gpu?

Personally i think 1 tera is way to much and is just used to boast to other people saying that you have it. Unless of course you can actually find a way to use that massive amount of space.

i have 2x250GB drives and an 80GB and apparently that's fairly excessive compared to most people :). however i know someone who has 6-7TB!!!! do not ask me how he succeeded in putting that in one case. i agree with what's been said, get a 7900GT/GS rather than another 7600. heck sell yours and you won't be much out of pocket. get a 500GB drive.

well, what i was planning with two 320's was my first raid configuration. As 'nice' as my build is, i haven't put much into it as far as under the hood specs. But, if I am to say sell my 7600GT exactly how and where? The only things i have for it are the actual card, drivers & a few accesories out of the box. is that good enough for a sale? Ontop of the 500gig, newegg has them for as cheap as two 320's, about 165 dollars for one.

my rig I just put together has 4 250GB seagates-sata, 2 250GB seagate IDE, and 2 dvd burners, and it isnt enough

the athlon64x2 4800 I stuck in it can encode a two 2hr movies into mpeg2 from xvid and burn them in about an hour

its also just fast enough to encode two streams from a TV card raw and encode them in real time on the fly into xvid

HD-DVD and now we will be going from 4.x GB discs to like as much as 60GB although most of the movies that are 2 hrs run like 20-30GB from what Ive seen

a terrabyte wont be squat, playing with video is getting pretty serious these days, I never thought I'd spend $1200 on a rig to do it and still not have enough !!

Hm, well, i think i'll actually see whenever i have the money for the 7900, i'll find a nice deal then install it and sell it. as far as horn, i can't see how, well, nearly 1.5tb isn't 'enough'. like i said before, the ratings or basic 'estimation' of how much space you get with a terabyte is alot. ALOT

well when you start doing batches of videos it adds up quick, plus its good to be able have lots of them stored, that way you can clean off the drives in big batches and cut down on the maintenance, I do sometimes as many as 12-16 per day in a batch, so you have to have somewhere to keep them, scratch space to use while encoding them, then somewhere to put the finished video before it gets burned

mpeg2's in dvd format can eat up some space, recording video from two tuners means about 4GB's per hour incoming, before you know it after a few days youve got drives full of stuff

the new HD-DVD format means like 10+GB per hour per stream

dude i dont think i want to imagine how long it would take to defrag a 1.2tb drive, let alone a 2.5.
-can someone bring me a razor...? my beard is growing-

well, actually, horn maybe able to help me. Because i've tried burning a dvd from MPEG-4 to dvd and the picture on a big screen and standard screen t.v is relatively, well, small. Considering the files are anywhere from 700mbs starting i can imagine that the space to encode and decode then store is needed.

As far as actually defraggin i have no idea. I think alot of the folks i talk to with SCSI Arrays run fedora core, so it's whatever they do for linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom