Noobies Please Read (DX10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meithan said:
Logically? Whatever logic was behind your reasoning is completely masked by the bluntness of your rethorical skills. Perhaps I'm not being clear enough. I'm not saying DX10 should be ignored altogether. Please try to follow my own logic carefully. I'm making my best effort to lay the arguments as simple as possible.

What I'm saying is that, at the present time, DX10 is irrelevant when it comes to chosing a video card. Why is it irrelevant? Because DX10 was introduced yesterday with Windows Vista, so it's still far from becoming a mainstream technology. It will in the near future, maybe in a year's time, but it isn't right now.

So please stop categorizing video cards as "DX9 card" and "DX10 card". Such distinction is misleading for those that aren't acquainted with techonology today.

The comparison you make, based on price, is entirely valid and I've already stated many times that I agree with it. Above $350, the 8800GTS offers the best price/performance ratio.

The G80 GPU suffered major architectural changes, which together with the large amount of graphics memory that go with it, are the reason the 8800 performs so well. And I'll say it again: the G80 performance has nothing to do with DirectX 10.

Yeah i totally agree with you. Direct 10 is just another way of harnessing the graphics cards full potential, its a gaming language not the graphics card itself...
I guess i was just categorzing it as dx10 and dx9 because right now its the only dx10 card out.

also i meant to make the post about:
8800 vs 1950xtx but i didnt (like i said in the above post) made things very clear.

:( i wish i could edit my original post :(

Perfectly understood, alexsabree, and I appreciate your last post since it clarified a lot of things. Just please, please call them by their names: 8800GTS and 8800GTX, not "dx10 cards". Leaving the DirectX support out of the equation (for now) makes things easier for the noobs.

Edit: also, my harsh reply some posts above was aimed at BuddyRo.

Wow a lot of debates going on here...I'd just like to say most of you people aren't even considering life spans of cards. It's not about a geforce 8800 getting 175 fps and a x1950 getting 100 fps on games today ( since u can't tell the differance after 72 fps anyways ), but its about a year from now when some crazy game drops your fps to 72 for the 8800, and a unplayable 20 for the x1950. Right now at this point the 8800 GTS is too close to the x1950s price, THERFORE it is absolutely the better deal once you consider its life span. Not to mention the DX 10 capability is an added bonus.

Sure it's probably better to wait for the R600 to come out in march so the geforce 8 prices will drop...but alas with all technology, price drops always happen as time goes on. The plan of getting a x1950 now and selling it a year from now to get a geforce 8 I think will make you incur more of a money loss then just dishing out for a geforce 8 gts right now.

Gabb said:
The plan of getting a x1950 now and selling it a year from now to get a geforce 8 I think will make you incur more of a money loss then just dishing out for a geforce 8 gts right now.

Well, some people just can't dish out $400 in a video card. For us, getting a $200 card and upgrading in a year to DX10 is the only option.

Gabb said:
Wow a lot of debates going on here...I'd just like to say most of you people aren't even considering life spans of cards. It's not about a geforce 8800 getting 175 fps and a x1950 getting 100 fps on games today ( since u can't tell the differance after 72 fps anyways ), but its about a year from now when some crazy game drops your fps to 72 for the 8800, and a unplayable 20 for the x1950. Right now at this point the 8800 GTS is too close to the x1950s price, THERFORE it is absolutely the better deal once you consider its life span. Not to mention the DX 10 capability is an added bonus.

Sure it's probably better to wait for the R600 to come out in march so the geforce 8 prices will drop...but alas with all technology, price drops always happen as time goes on. The plan of getting a x1950 now and selling it a year from now to get a geforce 8 I think will make you incur more of a money loss then just dishing out for a geforce 8 gts right now.
[/QUOTE

THIS IS WHAT I BEEN TRYIN TO GET ACROSS!!! very well put Gabb

This discussion has gotten way off topic... but for the most part, Try to hang with me now Methian... u have 400$ u have a choice of an ATI X1950XTX OR a 8800GTS... ok which wuld u buy? HOPEFULLY u wuld choose the 8800... I hope...

And if u wuld've read the 1st post u wuld have seen the part that said $$$$ cards... wich i think means High dollar cards, soooo i pick the X1950xtx and the 8800gts... now if i was wrong there then plz point me in the rite direction...

i thought our topic here was that the original poster wanted an ati card, as he was not a fan of nvidia.
in which case, as i said much earlier, buy a x1900pro or something along the lines of that. it will last long enough for the prices to go down.
then wait for the r600...see how it compares to a 8800...and make the decision. the original poster was pretty dead set against nvidia....not dx 10. so this whole topic is off-topic, lol.
O.P. didn't say anything about how much money vs dx9/10. i dont think, anyway. but i aint rifilin' thru this whole thread to find out for sure.

lol this post was about ppl buying high $ DX9 cards wen u could buy a DX10 card for the same $... but anywho... lol

i actually like nvidia better than ATI.. its just that the r600 is just not out yet so i cant compare it.

But yeah... the r600 looks like a monster... but we wont know until it comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom