1 Terabyte

Status
Not open for further replies.

objecterror

Daemon Poster
I've heard that one, you cannot or you don't need a terabyte in consumer use.

Now, the second i heard this(of course this is coming from a friend who is more or less jealous of me) i wondered, do i need to make any existing changes to my current rig?(see signature below)

And, as another question, exactly how much can i put onto a terabyte. Seeing that Alienware Computers has now put together terabyte machines and accompanying them are astronomical calculations of how much space it is exactly.

"Massive 2.5 Terabytes of data let you store more music, games, pictures, and movies.

Store More Music: 609,400 songs*
Movies: 610 movies*
Games: 407 games*

Average file size: 4MB per Song, 4GB per Movie, 6GB per Game."

If 2.5 gives you those numbers, would 1.2 give me the same results? and as i mentioned in another forum post, Iam not going to do 500's iam going to do 320's in raid. so, should i stop after i reach critical mass on my hard drive space?

Another note, my tower cages hold up to 6 3.5 hard drives. I have one 250 in there now, leaving me 5 slots left.

its for the user to decide if they need that much space.

1.2 terabytes wont give you the same as 2.5 because its half as much. its like saying i have a 20 gig hard drive can i put as much on that as i can on a 40 gig? no.

I understand, but, with 1tb, do i simply cut all of the specs of 2.5 down to a half? I mean really, i don't have 407 games to begin with.

1 terabyte + is overkill for most users. and yes since its about half as much you just cut the stats in half for an approx. amount.

Just get a couple or even one 500GB. It seems like you want to get a TB of space just to say you have it. I'm sure a single 500GB would do you fine. Also please Oc your 4000+ it'll do 3.0GHz with that ram you have on air easy. Mine is sitting at 2.88GHz because I have crappy ram and it never breaks 95*F with the stock cooler.

You will only need that much space if you are recording TV or DVDs onto your computer.

In the near future when High Definition becomes the Standard, Most of the Media Center PCs will come with huge amounts of storage because a Blu-ray DVD can hold a 50GB movie! :eek:

Regular DVDs can be up to 8GBs.

lol @ please OCz

I see, Well, Iam a bit of a media freak and i download most of my dvds(all non hi def) to my pc anyway.

and overclocking, i don't know. I want to stay away from that for a bit XP

I am an extreme case here but Ive got 1.32 tb I run a server for around 80ppl dvd's can be decoded down to 700mb with little quality loss, tv shows are about 400mb an hour if at 720p so high-def average game is only 2.5gb with obviously some exceptions. I have this excess amount of space because of the server and it gives me a nice profit of $600 a month the average user would never need 1tb even the extreme gamers would struggle to fill it. your money your choice, if i was you then id just save up for a new graphics card e.g. the R600 or 8900gt.

Matt

Matt

This much is true, a terabyte of space is a bit excessive, i think i may throw my money into one 500 gig and another 7600 for sli, *maybe*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom