Ordering Processor: 6700, Duo EE, or Quad EE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcclellanfsu

Solid State Member
Hello, I am going to order a processor for a new gaming machine I am building. The machine will have 2GB of Mem (maybe 4) and the 8800GTX.

I want to be able to use this processor for the next three yrs or so and be able to play all the new fancy DX10 games.

Which one should I go with?

Core Duo Conroe EE
Quad Core Kentsfield EE

Thanks!

The e6700 is a waste of $200 extra dollars over the e6600....It will give you more bang for your buck, out of all those. Then just overclock it. The quad core is not the way to go now, because there are very few applications that take advantage of it.

i agree with fade2black2004 and big forget core 2 duo extreme if u want that so badly get a quad core they are similarly priced!

Now before I start, I'm not saying I agree or disagree with anyone. What I am getting at is with the release of games like Crysis coming in the (somewhat near) future, I am worried that if I get the e6600 I will have to replace my chip before I want to.

I am looking for this computer that I build to last me AT LEAST 3 years without any (or very minimal) upgrades.

I am just worried that with games coming out that are (supposedly) as high-powered as Crysis it will set a standard for all new games and my rig will be outdated in the next two years. Games and other programs might actually be taking advantage of all 4 cores and i will be kicking myself for buying the 6600. Believe me, I would rather save the extra 500 it's going to cost me for the qx, but if it will save me from buying another chip in the next 3 years it may be worth it?

Am I worrying too much?

nope as its alot of cash your spending.

I just think you need to go with what you want or take the advice these guys give you, at the end of the day none of us have crystal balls, so nobody knows what will be needed to run future games or if the e6600 will be outdated sooner than we think!

I heard that most games and applications don't even use Cord 2 Duo processors to their fullest extent. I also heard that games like Oblivion and Rainbow 6 Vegas play better on other processors, I'm guessing the Pentium D. Can anyone confirm this?

Where did you hear that? Core 2 Duos are the best processors for gaming, right now.

I believe I read it in the Rainbow Six Vegas forums. They were talking about mods to make the game run smoother, and someone researched about the game playing smoother on Non Duel Core systems. Wrong or right, it was interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom