Which is better? 1.6 GHZ Core 2 Duo/2GB ram OR 2GHz Core 2 Duo/1GB Ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
im not understanding why you guys think a cpu is harder then ram? from someone who works on laptops you just pop the keyboard off, take the heat sink off and you change the cpu. ram, cheaper only cuz you can add to and and the cpu you would have to get rid of.

True.

Wouldn't you void the warranty by upgrading the CPU though (which may or may not be important to you)? I don't think that is the case with upgrading the RAM (I'm not sure though... I don't keep up with warranty stipulations).

Also, can't you upgrade the RAM on most laptops just by removing a small plate on the bottom of the case and inserting the RAM through that? Thereby avoiding opening the whole thing up?

If so, that would definately make the RAM easier to upgrade.

p.s. If I'm wrong, someone set me straight... I have never done any upgrades to laptop before... so most of this is just speculation.

p.s. If I'm wrong, someone set me straight... I have never done any upgrades to laptop before... so most of this is just speculation.
Ive never upgraded anything in laptops either...but iv opened up a couple...and yes...the ram can be upgraded by opening up a small plate at the bottom....

Ok...thanx for your replies....but i doubt i will be upgrading anything in it in the near future...hehe...so for the time being, as is, which is better to get? extra CPU speed or extra RAM? (i think i will end up customizing a dell one...but would i out 2 gigs of ram with a 1.6 or 1.66 ghz cpu or a 2.0 ghz cpu with 1 gb of RAM?)

Go with the faster CPU...

The 2.0 gHz (T7200) has a 4 mb L2 cache whereas the 1.66 gHz (T5500) only has a 2 mb L2 cache... so your getting more clock speed and a larger L2 cache with the 2.0 Ghz.

That's what I would do at least.

moisiss said:
my 2 cents....

It seems like it would be a lot easier to upgrade the RAM (ie.. add more) or HD later than it would be to upgrade the CPU...

So I would go with the more powerful CPU and upgrade the RAM or HD later if I needed to.

I would also look around some more... mabye at something like this...

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/ntbkx56800.asp?v=d

...fairly similar in price, but with a dedicated graphics card... and without all the crappy software that I'm sure either the Dell or Toshiba comes with pre-installed.

X2. Plus you get more cache which makes it slightly better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom