upgrading my pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiator

Beta member
Hello I have the following . I have around $200 to spend on an upgrade. What would you recommend first. New video card? I mostly play RPG's (FFXI, Vanguard (Starting)) and FPS such as halflife 2 etc.

OEM AMD X2 3800CPU
4 X PC3200 PC400 DDR 512MB (2GB RAM) Corsair value
500W Power supply
16X DVD +-RW drive
Maxtor 200GB SATA 1500 7200RPM 16MB
Radeon X700 video Card
Motherboard is (Sckt939)EVGA nForce4 SLI chipset RAID dual PCI-E

Also my PC makes a lot of clicking sounds any idea?

hold out untill the new DX10 cards come out, you'll get much better performance in DX9 with the DX10 cards, plus they'll be future proof for atleast 2 years. noting your budget i'd say you should go with an 8600ultra, but like i said, you'll have to wait. (it'll be worth it though)

A DirectX Video card could come out in weeks or months; you can't really tell right now. Should be soon though with Vista's release just yesterday..

yea, i'm thinking around May i do believe not really that long of a wait considering it'll be future proof for a long time to come

nah, hes got two GBs thats plenty for now, even with Vista (i dont recommend Vista yet though). His Video card should be his main focus as it is WAY behind in terms of new technology

Ya i agree, great processor, good ram, good motherboard, good power supply, and a good hard drive. A well rounded rig, but get that videocard outa there lol, if you don't want to wait go with like a 7900gs or something, but if you do wanan wait. Like they said a dx10 card will be well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom