1.8 Duron > 1.7 Athlon XP 2000+ no difference in performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie578

In Runtime
I just bought a AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1.68Ghz, upgrading from an AMD Duron 1.79Ghz. I ran some benchmarks to see how much performance increase i would be getting, and im dissapointed with my scores.

Duron - PCMark05 System Test - 1821
Duron - 3DMark05 - didnt record it but it was a little over 5100

Athlon - PCMark05 System Test - 1878
Athlon - 3dMark05 - 5359

Other Specs:
Windowz hard drive: 40GB WD PATA 7200RPM
Vid Card - Geforce6800 AGP 128mb RAM
RAM - 768 PC 2100 RAM

I read that the main difference in performance between the Durons and Athlon XPs was the L2 cache, which makes the biggest performance difference in 3D applications, but the 3D mark scores were not too different, which dissapoints me.

The Duron has a 64kb L2 cache and the Athlon has 256kb. Both Socket A
They are both running at stock voltages and frequencies.

Does this seem right, or is there something i can do?

nitestick said:
forget synthetic benchmarks ;) see if there is any performance difference in games.

Yeah,My old sempron 2600+ was right on par with my athlon 3000+ in bench mark's but i did notice the difference while running apps and game's :)

if you upgrade a processor, at least go up a gig in size so that you will notice a difference

EricB said:
if you upgrade a processor, at least go up a gig in size so that you will notice a difference

In Pentiums maybe.

But yes, I do agree, CPU upgrades should be a tad more 'drastic' than that.

EricB said:

i was dying with my duron and i bought it for 15 dollars from a friend of a friend. I cant compare it to the duron in game preformance because its been a while since i attempted to run any games on my duron, and back then i was also using a 9600XT. Now im using the Athlon and a 6800 and games run well, Guild Wars - everything max 20-60 FPS ~36avg. Call of Duty - Everything Max, runs fine. Call of Duty 2 - Fairly high settings runs very well. Im pleased with how my games preform, but its too bad that i cant compare to my duron, or too bad taht im too lazy rather. It might also be that i just reinstalled windows xp, customized with nLite - 194MB ISO, and runs amazingly.

so 3 upgrades and im happy, no need in comparing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom