Need a new Power Supply, graphics card not getting enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

In Runtime
I recently helped a friend install a new graphics card. They didn't need anything top of the line and so bought a GeForce 6600LE. I made sure to check it was compatible with the setup, but I never thought to check the power supply as I know very little about them.

After installing and restarting it came up with a message saying the graphics card was not receiving enough power and so is being run at a lower performance level.

So it looks like I might have to replace the power supply. Firstly I guess I need to know how to figure out how much power the computer would need, and I need to know what sort of power supply is currently in it. Also what kind of compatability issues could there be with a new power supply, could it be incompatible with the motherboard, could it be physically too large for the case?

Unfortunately I don't have it with me so I can't be specific, but the general spec are a 3.0ghz Intel Pentium 4, 512 RAM, a wireless network card.. I'm not sure about the rest, but if it will help I can get the information in a day or so.

Yeah I looked around at the site I usually use to price computer parts, nothing too expensive. I live in Australia, so prices are a little different, but I'm sure I can find what I need for less than $100. I'm not sure about it being compatible with the computer though.

I know I need a 400 or higher watt power supply now, but I'm still not sure of compatibility. Is it possible that I'll buy one and it'll be a weird size or shape and won't fit in the case, or are all power supplies the same general size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom